expo5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Red Wing, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
this is going to be how my suspension is now for a while

plan on 4 link in the rear down the road- but only after the interior and body is finished.

everything works well as it is, the shocks have proper play/it rides well etc., and it's time for me to focus only on the other aspects.

Attachments

• IMG_1592.jpg
    IMG_1592.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 627
  • IMG_1600.jpg
    IMG_1600.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 652
  • IMG_1594.jpg
    IMG_1594.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 634
  • IMG_1595.jpg
    IMG_1595.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 647

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that truck is so sick!

that part of the interior is already done though- when the time comes i'll rebuild the sub box.

it's too bad, but that is the ONE part of the interior that is carrying over from my last "build"

good news is that the sub box can be redone without having to redo everythign else i'm doing etc.- so long as i make solid measurements etc.

still gonna suck...

thanks for the info! and thanks for the kind words!

Looking good man

How about some good pics of your front and rear suspension with the bags?

i'll put that into consideration now that it's all painted etc. under there (finally)

the rear is very simple- just under axle brackets from suicidedoors, 4" angled blocks, duo-leafed springs, a custom crossmember/upper bag mount (2" below the stock floor), and custom shock mounts.

Up front i have custom lower arms that i just hacked up myself that incorporate the bag mount and then it gets real tricky from there. I have the stock upper arms, the frame is C-notched (sideways kind of thing) with 7" diameter tubing, and the upper bag mounts are 'set' into the notch. It's not a set-up i would recommend anyone copies- but it works great. I'd have come to a very different 'final' conclusion had i not originally set out to bag it with awd.

Sweet. How would you compare the ride on air over the stock suspension? Does it ride better, handle better? I have never riden in a vehicle with bags so I am curious.

Sweet. How would you compare the ride on air over the stock suspension? Does it ride better, handle better? I have never riden in a vehicle with bags so I am curious.

+1. I was wondering the same. I'd love to bag my X some day.

Also, did you suicide both the front and rear doors?

Your X looks sick!!:thumbsup:

i suicided the drivers front, and passenger rear, and shaved the drivers rear completely to the body.

it rides well with my current set-up- not anything like a stock or lowered explorer

i suicided the drivers front, and passenger rear, and shaved the drivers rear completely to the body.

it rides well with my current set-up- not anything like a stock or lowered explorer

Oh yah! Holy, I didn't notice that at first...that nuts!!:eek:

Did you custom make the suicide hinges? I think it would be sweet to suicide my rear doors...

they are the suicidedoors.com hinges

they are the suicidedoors.com hinges

I'm assuming they didn't bolt up though. What was required to make them work? I know it's probably out of my league of fabrication, lol.

suiciding either of the doors i did requires a ton of custom fabrication.

i actually reshaped the rear passenger side door by cutting a few inches off of it and adding the same amount to the body. then had to redo the "door jam" space starting from scratch in order to have it look right.

on the drivers side- well, yeah.

Ha. I guess I'll stay away from suiciding my doors for now until I can find a shop to do it...:eek:

honestly, there is a reason not many (any?) other 4 doors have been done.

i don't want to sound like a jerk- but i know not many of the shops that specialize in "custom body work" type stuff around me would really be able to/want to take on such a project for any sort of reasonable price. it just sucks too much to have to do the extra work as compared to other vehicles.

True. I'm just checkin' out my options anyway. I like to dream, lol.:thumbsup:

Back