Baja California

BlueDogBandit

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Miles City, Montana
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 & 93 XLT 4x4 Explorers
Okay, I need some feedback on this. I was going to wait until the pre-t-haven run to ask the guys, but I thought I'd just throw this out now to get some feedback. I've been thinking on going on a trip down into baja california. I see off-roading trips down there all the time. Would anybody be interested in a trip like this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Heck yea! You know, I'm always down to do a run in Baja. The problem is, nobody ever replys back when asked about
making a run. Its like they're afraid or something. I'd like to go. My best dates would be Dec 26th-29th 4 days.
Maybe we could leave Christmas afternoon and make it 5 days. However, I'm serious about a trip.

Kewl!

Wow Ken, sounds great. Have you ever four wheeled down there? I've always wanted to, but haven't. The local shops have flyers and books on the trails down there, if you don't have any info, I can pick some up. Those dates sound good for me. I have that time off for the holiday. I think my inlaws are coming to town, so even a better reason. I was thinking like a 3-4 day trip, down to Rosarita or further, a little chow and some cervasas, have a full day to drive back. We could stay in hotels, but I'm not sure about leaving my truck unmanned. Let me know what you think. Even if it's just the two of us, I down for it. Hey, did you notice that we have alsmost the exact same set-up....except you are driving a Ranger...but it's still a ford. C-ya on the trail.

Have I ever traveled to Baja? Many times. My parents used to park the trailer at the beach and let me and my
brothers run up and down Rosarito Beach all summer, and us kids had a great time!
Lately, I've concentrated on traveling to Baja to; 1)4 Wheel, (2) lay around on the beach eating fish tacos, and
(3) discovering new places while Suzanne photographed whatever "cool stuff" she comes across. My last time
swimming in the Pacific resulted in me having a Near Death Experience, so no more deep sea swimming, but I still like
to 4 wheel and eat my way across the peninsula.
My last pack trip to Baja consisted of 1 Ford Ranger (mine), 1 Chevy Blazer (a '94 that was totaled in San Jose,
C.A. a few weeks ago), and 1 Jeep CJ (36"Swampers, Warn, ARB's, the works). We had the best time up in the Sierra
de San Pedro Martir. There is this trail we couldn't
conquer on this trip, but we're going to give it another
try the next time we can all get together.
As far as safety is concerned, I have heard numerous stories about people getting picked on for being rich
Americans, for being White, or for having "Nice Toys." I am an African American who speaks fluent Spanish, so the Army
who patrol the roads get confused and think I am a Central American or something. When I traveled with Andrew last summer, we had no problems to speak of. Andrew is a middle- aged Englishman who speaks no Spanish besides the basics.
I'm not saying that you will be immune from the legal system there, but, because I've been traveling there for so many
years, I know what to look out for, what to stay away from, and what precautions to take-like always buying Insurance.
My travels this past summer were covered online at the following web site------->
<<http://www.timsbaja.com/kencooke.html>>
Check all of this out for more info on this mountain range. Tasajera Truck Road was photographed as was the messy rock
arroyo that we also couldn't negotiate too easily. I'll have a locker and 33's next time I try this. Andrew wanted
to drive from BOLA (Bay of Los Angeles) to Mission San Borja, but we learned that this challenging rock trail had been recently graded. We do have the challenge of crossing from Mikes Sky Rancho to the Observatorio road leading to the HWY 1 near San Telmo. But, any suggestions are welcome. All I know is there's plenty of tricky terrain from San Felipe, south to the Bay of Gonzaga. It's mainly rock and dirt trails that criss cross the main road. Any suggestions are welcome. Talk soon,

All ears

Ken, you sound like the perfect guy to lead this trip. I'm along for the ride. Four wheel'n down and eating fish tacos on the beach sounds awsome. I ok'd the dates with the wife, so it's a for sure go with me.

Yeah, I'll lead a trip to Baja! And best of all, I won't charge $600 per person! HA!

Looking through "Backroad Baja" I noticed in Section 1 there are four trips that all sort of work together. These
are:
THE MOUNTAIN MINING TOWNS (El Arco, Calmalli, Pozo Aleman)
Pozo Aleman to Bahia San Francisquito
Bahia San Francisquito to Bahia de Los Angeles
Bahia de Los Angeles to Mision San Borja
Since the trip to San Borja was >>>GRADED<<< for easier access, we could still drive it to see the mission and
imagine how impassable it was to the HONDA CRV'S and LEXUS LS400'S.
I think this will be an amazing trip, and since there will be a group of other capable 4x4's, it will be safe and full of comeraderie.

Sounds good, but let's do it before December!!

The trip will have to correspond with my Christmas Vacation from work and DJ tour dates here on the west coast.
I'm playing up in Portland, Ore on Dec. 31st, and I'll need to be back in Alta California on the 30th of the month.
We're planning Dec. 20-25th to Dec30th. I want to spend Christmas with my family, but I also want to take advantage
of this "once in a year" trip by allowing some extra time in it. Tell me what you all think.

Back