• Register Today It's free!

Baja ready

Maxtor

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Calif.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer xlt 4x4
I have a 1997 stock Explorer 4x4 xlt with posi. What would it take to make it capable to go across the desert where there are no roads, ala Jeep Rubicon. No rock crawling, just desert driving. I am considering purchasing a Rubicon or Xtara pro4 or fixing up my Explorer. I love our Explorer, and so far it has taken us everywhere we wanted to go in stock form, but desert driving is another challenge. I don't want to get stuck 50 miles from the nearest road.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would suggest new suspension, preferably Rancho Suspension. I would also maybe do a torsion twist and lifting shackles (you can read about that anywhere on this forum). It's very cheap. And maybe, if your tires aren't ****, new tires. But honestly, I think you wouldn't have to much of a problem just keeping it stock. But those are my ideas :thumbsup:

Assuming your truck is in good working mechanical order, offroading is all about ground clearance and tires.

Get a decent set of all terrains with at least one spare. Rocks and assorted pointy items will challenge even the best tires, so be prepared for tire repairs with plug kits and a compressor.

Take your time to avoid bottoming out or falling down on something solid causing underside damage or getting stuck.

Most imporant of all - TAKE A FRIEND!

...There are always news articles on those who venture out alone in the desert..Take at least 1-2 more vehicles..;)

..Your vehicle can do most of the Mojave desert in stock form but it would help if you elaborate a little more on what your current and future plans are out in the desert..

Do a "Title" search on here for "Truckhaven" and "Truck Haven" and also "Mojave" you will find similar vehicles in the desert from stock to wild..

I just did a search on Mojave, and that is just what I want to do. Go out to old ghost towns and abandoned mines, etc. I have "like new" m+s tires that should do the trick on dirt roads. Not sure on sand. My idea is if I am on a dirt road and see something interesting off in the distance where there is not a dirt road, go off into the desert and hope to make it back. I have molded stock running boards, that might be a negative off road. I am OLD, and most of my friends are sitting in their rocking chairs. Getting them to go with us will be a struggle.
I will search for a local off road club. Where do you guys put extra wheels and tires, besides the stock spare location? I have a carrier that fits in the two inch receiver, but the receiver holds my winch. I have something similar to the below.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...Nextag-_-Winches>Winch Accessories-_-14021

Most guys move the full size spare to the roof when offroading. More often than not you don't have the ground clearance to get the spare out from underneath when you get a flat in the middle of nowhere.

I would really consider installing some heavy duty tires like BF Goodrich ATs (don't forget the spare), they are great off road and aren't too noisy on road. Make sure your Ex has skid plates and maybe do a torsion bar mild lift (1" or so) and shackles in the rear. I always install Rancho RS9000 adjustable shocks and this will help on the washboard roads. I have seen stock vehicles in places that amazes me and it really depends on the driver and being cautious and thoughtful. I would also take a jack (Hi-lift or farm jack), heavy tow strap, shovel and tools. The factory jack won't work in the dirt. Do a few close trips and experiment with your vehicles abilities and learn what you need to have a fun and safe adventure.

Oh, BTW. I've seen stock 2wd trucks with worn out tires in the middle of Baja driven there by local and they get along just fine. Those guys are resourceful...

Back