• Register Today It's free!

Bald to the Bone

swat

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
Hey folks. Long time lurker, first time poster..

Just trying to figure out an issue with our explorer which really feels suspect.
Bought a set of 4 Brand new tires in January 2017. All good. In June 2017, I experienced steering issues (locking up) and found out that Ford had never issued a recall to me for that problem. Ford took care of it and fixed it up real nice like. Fast Forward to January. Snow comes down, my vehicle is slip sliding around like a fish on ice. I look at my 2 front tires. They are literally F1 racing slicks. The 2 back tires, look great. My friend (mechanic), says this is a tow issue, caused by the recall parts installed from the steering recall (seeing as that was the last maintenance performed) in the spring and possibly a alignment not being performed after the replacement. I hadn't noticed any issues after that made me wonder, we usually have great service from Ford.
I took it to them to ask how my tires went from Brand new to Bald in the front in less than 10,000kms. They tell me it was possibly a pothole and that there is nothing they can do to help.
I am not necessarily accusing them of poorly performed work here, I am trying to understand how this can happen. Tires are bloody expensive, and I am now on the hook to buy new tires again.

Any thoughts here or explanations that could help me when talking with them?
Thanks
Shawn

PS - I have attached photos of the Bald Fronties and the Nice Backies for reference.

IMG_20180308_074200.jpg

IMG_20180308_074213.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

its tough, best you might be able to do is ask them to check the records for the alignment printout, if they have none there might be something there. Did you buy all 4 new tires or just fronts 10,000kms ago? From the camera angle it looks like the rears are 50% with inner/camber wear

If those are the Hankooks, they have a known issue with accelerated wear. Depending on when you bought them you may be a candidate for prorated replacement.

Did they put your car up and check the alignment? Does your paperwork from the repair show that an alignment was completed? If the paperwork doesn't show an alignment being completed, then I'd think they were on the hook.

I don’t think either looks terribly good. Is the front tire cracked? What brand and model tire?

Obviously you didn't rotate your tires. No tire manufacturer is going to stand behind that. They should have been rotated.

its tough, best you might be able to do is ask them to check the records for the alignment printout, if they have none there might be something there. Did you buy all 4 new tires or just fronts 10,000kms ago? From the camera angle it looks like the rears are 50% with inner/camber wear

According to Ford - they did an alignment. All 4 tires were new. The rears are actually in good condition. I think my phone just focused towards the closest object.

If those are the Hankooks, they have a known issue with accelerated wear. Depending on when you bought them you may be a candidate for prorated replacement.
The tires are Bridgestone Dueler H/L - Someone I talked too had mentioned a similar fact! Thanks!

Did they put your car up and check the alignment? Does your paperwork from the repair show that an alignment was completed? If the paperwork doesn't show an alignment being completed, then I'd think they were on the hook.
They verified that the alignment was completed, but then followed up with a 'pothole' could have been the issue. I disagreed 100% with that statement - as both front tires were identically worn to nothing, and both backs were fine.

I don’t think either looks terribly good. Is the front tire cracked? What brand and model tire?
The front is almost completely worn through. The Brand is Bridgestone Dueler H/L. As tires aren't my specialty they seemed decent on purchase!

Obviously you didn't rotate your tires. No tire manufacturer is going to stand behind that. They should have been rotated.
As I stated in my initial comment, this wear (from brand new) happened in 10,000 km. therefore, there is no possible way that a rotation would have made a difference. I would only have 4 bald tires now. I could understand if this was over the course of 3/4 years of use and I never rotated.. Sure, would be owner negligence. But this is 10,000k of use after Ford did a recall.

Welcome to the Forum Swat.:wave:
If that happened to me, the first thing I'd ask the dealer to do before anything else is an alignment check to see the current results. My dealer does a free alignment check every time I bring my vehicle in for service and provides me with the printout. I'm guessing yours did not. I have copies of all the alignment checks done on my vehicles. I'd be very curious to see what the alignment diagnosis shows now.
Also, I see you don't use dedicated Winter tires so perhaps you should look into getting All Weather tires.

Peter

If Ford confirmed alignment and/or performed an alignment check after the repair, it's still possible that something got knocked out of whack.
Do you have a printout of the alignment?
The fact that your front tires are gone and the rears are good is further proof that its a front end alignment issue.

If this is anything like my wife's CX9, she had front control arm recall completed and Mazda didn't require an alignment after the replacement. The technician was supposed to drive the car and verify it didn't pull. If it didn't pull, it didn't get an alignment check. Her right front tire wore out pretty quick after that recall was completed.

Welcome to the Forum Swat.:wave:
If that happened to me, the first thing I'd ask the dealer to do before anything else is an alignment check to see the current results. My dealer does a free alignment check every time I bring my vehicle in for service and provides me with the printout. I'm guessing yours did not. I have copies of all the alignment checks done on my vehicles. I'd be very curious to see what the alignment diagnosis shows now.

Peter

Thank Peter. I just got off the phone again, they have ran a few tests and ultimately they are going to preform a bunch of work and replace tires - free of charge. Now, technically speaking, they have not admitted to any fault.. which seems strange that they would go ahead with all the work and replacement tires... unless I was just becoming a headache HAHA. !!! Thanks for the info

If Ford confirmed alignment and/or performed an alignment check after the repair, it's still possible that something got knocked out of whack.
Do you have a printout of the alignment?
The fact that your front tires are gone and the rears are good is further proof that its a front end alignment issue.

If this is anything like my wife's CX9, she had front control arm recall completed and Mazda didn't require an alignment after the replacement. The technician was supposed to drive the car and verify it didn't pull. If it didn't pull, it didn't get an alignment check. Her right front tire wore out pretty quick after that recall was completed.

It's bizarre, I initially thought I had a control arm issue as I had only looked at my driver side, as I saw the other side.. I knew it had to be more. That being said, they are taking care of it for me now, at fault or not! Thanks!

Thank Peter. I just got off the phone again, they have ran a few tests and ultimately they are going to preform a bunch of work and replace tires - free of charge. Now, technically speaking, they have not admitted to any fault.. which seems strange that they would go ahead with all the work and replacement tires... unless I was just becoming a headache HAHA. !!! Thanks for the info
Good news. Just keep in mind that you have an AWD vehicle. I believe there is a certain 'size' difference (new vs old tires) between wheels that the system will tolerate but I'm not sure of the number. Also be sure to get an alignment printout.

Peter

to have hit a pot hole that big you would have surely bent your suspension along with the rims or cracked it and your steering would be out about a 1/4 turn. Sounds like they came to their senses:thumbsup:. Guy doing the work probably just guessed the alignment

to have hit a pot hole that big you would have surely bent your suspension along with the rims or cracked it and your steering would be out about a 1/4 turn. Sounds like they came to their senses:thumbsup:. Guy doing the work probably just guessed the alignment
That was my thought. We don't usually get too many sinkholes around here.. they do happen, but usually I drive around them!!

Back