• Register Today It's free!

BALL hitch issue

templescroll

Reaction score
City, State
california
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
My 1994 Ford Explorer has a 2 1/2 " (?) Ball Hitch. I just bought a Kymco scooter 150CC <250lbs. that I want to tow from San Francisco to Belmont. But all the hitches I looked at are only for a 2" RECEIVER. How do I remove the 'ball hitch' from my Ford Explorer which is mounted thru the 'step' bumper and fastened with a large bolt. The step says towing capacity 3000lbs and weight on bumper 500lbs.There are holes underneath the 'step' that are not being utilized. I want to replace it with a 2" Receiver. See photo of steel motorcycle carrier w/2" receiver.Will this work? Please advise.
23012540006_large.jpg
$(KGrHqZ,!q4E+oG2ciO4BP-ihIhh-Q~~48_35.JPG
19030_300x225_a.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try a Google image search for trailer balls. You will see the threaded portion is just machined from the ball itself. Most trailer balls that I've had - used a 1 1/8 inch wrench to loosen the nut. A big Crescent wrench will work too. You may have to use a large pair of adjustable pliers (or a pipe wrench) to hold the ball to prevent it from turning as you loosen the nut.

If the ball has been there a long time, rust or corrosion may have frozen the nut in place, so a long "cheater bar" may need to be used with the wrench to help break it loose. Or in an extreme case, you may need to have someone cut off the nut with a cutting torch.

Your bumper is more than capable of holding the weight of your scooter. Would using your existing ball with a small trailer work? Cost may be an issue there, but just a thought.

Otherwise, if you get the old ball off, the set-up you have pictured should work, given the weights you provided.

(I've Edited this response a few times now...) I would also suggest using hardened bolts - Grade 8 bolts - to attach your new hitch.

Your local walmart should have both the ball you need and the wrench right next to each other for cheap. Like, 25 bucks out the door. awood says you may need to hold the ball to keep it from spinning. Darn right. A good pipe wrench should do the trick. Otherwise, you can use a nut splitter to break the nut on it. It will help to spray some PB blaster on it all a few days in advance.

Heck, I can't resist anymore. I read this thread a few times today. Why not ride the scooter home? SF to Belmont is what... 20 miles?

hitch for Kymco

Your local walmart should have both the ball you need and the wrench right next to each other for cheap. Like, 25 bucks out the door. awood says you may need to hold the ball to keep it from spinning. Darn right. A good pipe wrench should do the trick. Otherwise, you can use a nut splitter to break the nut on it. It will help to spray some PB blaster on it all a few days in advance.

Heck, I can't resist anymore. I read this thread a few times today. Why not ride the scooter home? SF to Belmont is what... 20 miles?

Actually I did to stop being a pussy about it and decided to ride the thing home from S.F. . It took an hour via el camino, it was MY FIRST ride and no accident, no ticket. I was geared up good too, helmet, gloves, boots. It was a good decision because it was a thing to behold, I'm not a youngun anymore but I got a couple nods from some dudes on a Harley, LOL! It felt like I was flying! As for carrying the Kymco I will eventually need the correct hitch. thanks all. :D

Kymco hitch

Try a Google image search for trailer balls. You will see the threaded portion is just machined from the ball itself. Most trailer balls that I've had - used a 1 1/8 inch wrench to loosen the nut. A big Crescent wrench will work too. You may have to use a large pair of adjustable pliers (or a pipe wrench) to hold the ball to prevent it from turning as you loosen the nut.

If the ball has been there a long time, rust or corrosion may have frozen the nut in place, so a long "cheater bar" may need to be used with the wrench to help break it loose. Or in an extreme case, you may need to have someone cut off the nut with a cutting torch.

Your bumper is more than capable of holding the weight of your scooter. Would using your existing ball with a small trailer work? Cost may be an issue there, but just a thought.

Otherwise, if you get the old ball off, the set-up you have pictured should work, given the weights you provided.

(I've Edited this response a few times now...) I would also suggest using hardened bolts - Grade 8 bolts - to attach your new hitch.

thank you Awood:) This is the set-up I'll go with for transporting it on the back of my Explorer since I don't want to do the trailer thingy.I'll get a pipe wrench per roadrunner. I'll send pics when its done :) I eventually just road the KYMCO home and arrived in one piece! :D Its lightweight with excellent manueverability. Gas gage didn't move, lol!

what model scooter is it?

And congrats on the ride down the camino. To those who don't know, the El Camino is the major city street down the SF peninsula, one of the busiest streets in the bay area. If you mastered that comfortably, you are good to go. Well done!

Back