• Register Today It's free!

Ball joint problem?

Dave Mak

Reaction score
City, State
Shelby Township, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
My 2000 Sport has developed a nasty squeak from the front suspension (driver side). It happens when turning, going over a bump or stopping. The sound can be reproduced when the car is parked by both moving it up and down and turning the wheels. I figure the only moving parts in both cases are the ball joints and the tie rod. Hoping I could get out of this cheaply, I replaced the tie rod. No luck. Could this be the ball joints? If so, can they be replaced with replacing the control arms?

Thank you for your help!

Dave Mak

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

An easy diagnosis for ball joint/tie rod is as follows:

Jack front end and support w/ jackstands

Push the wheel back and forth <-- --> if there is significant movement it is a tie rod problem.

Push back and forth in a top to bottom motion, if there is significant movement it could indicate a ball joint problem.

good Luck

To check for bad ball joints, lift the wheel up and hold it at 12 & 6 and see if you can rock it. Also.. please read this link before posting in this forum again.. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90274
We are trying to reduce the amount of non-emergency posts in this forum.. There are other forums to post to including the General Explorations or the Under hood & Driveline forums.

The squeak can also be bad control arm bushings. After you try the above methods to check the BJs, look down through the engine at the upper/lower control arm joints, where they meet the frame, and inspect the bushings.

Can you make it squeak by pushing down on the front end? If so, use a stethoscope/screwdriver while someone else bounces the front end to determine where it is squeaking from.

I had the same type squeek. Came from my right inner and outter tie rod. Good luck.

-Drew

What is a stethoscope/screwdriver ?????

Lee

Yeah I don't think the squeaking is the ball joints, check the rods and bushings.

I had a squeak too. It was the upper control arm bushings. Spraying them with PB Blaster solved the problem.

Lee S. said:
What is a stethoscope/screwdriver ?????

Lee

Stethoscope/screwdriver - is it clarity that you're trying to achieve or are your really asking what or why i am offering such advice.

I guess i could have changed / with OR

If you're just wondering the purpose of using such devices, you can use either to determine, or at least narrow down, where a sound is coming from. You'd have to buy a stethoscope from an autoparts store, or you can use a long screwdriver. Place the screwdriver on the suspected part and close to your ear. Have someone replicate the sound that you're hearing and it will travel up the screwdriver and to your ear.

Buffalo:

It was both. I did not know that you could purchase a stethoscope from a auto parts store. Also didn't know about the long screwdriver technique. This might be helpful for me to pinpoint an intermittent rear end noise I am having (I should say that my truck is having....just for clarity...lol)

Lee

Autozone has'em - $20 or so.

Blee1099 said:
To check for bad ball joints, lift the wheel up and hold it at 12 & 6 and see if you can rock it. Also.. please read this link before posting in this forum again.. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90274
We are trying to reduce the amount of non-emergency posts in this forum.. There are other forums to post to including the General Explorations or the Under hood & Driveline forums.

What did I miss looks to me like we are in General Explorations............. Yep your right.........."Stupidity has no Boundaries"

"In a World of Compromise Some Men Don't" "pear"

Generally, Ball joints do not squeak. Control arm bushings do.

Back