• Register Today It's free!

Ball joint question

Clown Truck Owner

Reaction score
City, State
Orangevale
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Ranger 4x4
I purchased a 2006 Ranger that already had a Dixon Brothers long travel front suspension kit installed on it. I recently went to have it aligned and was told I needed new lower ball joints. The one on the drivers side is pretty loose in the A arm. The ball joints are Moog, but I am not sure if they are the same as stock Ranger or did the Dixon Brothers use a different one. Has anyone had any experience in this or know someone who does?
Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have you tried calling them? Can you measure the size of the balljoint with a micrometer?
Moog and others make a stock size and an oversized balljoint for your 2006 model if in fact they use a stock BJ

I have tried calling and emailing Dixon Brothers and the company that has taken over production and sales of their product line. I have not had any return communication. I thought about taking measurements and trying to find a chart on line for Moog ball joints to match the measurements to, but I do not feel very confindent in measuring the angle/pitch of the knuckle portion or how to measure the shaft length. I was hoping to find a short cut first.

I would just find out what size the body of the balljoint is, don't worry about the stud portion, the dixon brothers kit still uses stock Knuckles so the chances of it being a stock like ball joint are about 99%
I would measure the size of the whole or the joint body and then go to the auto parts store and compare your measurements to the same part made for your truck.
I have $5 says its a stock ball joint....... otherwise it would require reaming of the knuckle and I know their kit is a bolt in deal and does not come with new knuckles
All signs point to a stock Ball joint. Take some measurements, go to parts store and compare

Here is the one I would run:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4710420&cc=1432360&jsn=494
or:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8724704&cc=1432360&jsn=489

Thanks 410, that makes a lot of sense. I have a tendency to panic and to not take the time to think things through. I am going to have to deal with the enlarged hole in the arm and I was told that Moog makes an oversized ball joint. By chance do you know if Mevotech offers that option.Thanks again for the help!

lets look at the rock auto page, they list regular and oversized ball joints
I do not see that option for the TTX joint

Back