ball joint replacement

f250bb6

Reaction score
City, State
oswego ,sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xl 4x4
Hi gang,
i read here some and i know you guys love and know your rangers.
I have all fords and my 98 SC 2wd 5spd and 3.0 ranger is my DD.
I also own a 81 f250 sc 4x4 that i use as a car hauler.
I drag race a 69 fb mustang with 509 and nash 4+1.

Now to my question:
my 98 seems to have worn out the ball joints, especially the lowers. my repair manual says that you have to replace the entire control arms as the ball joints are not serviceable. Is this true?
This suspension has upper and lower control arms and coil springs.
If they are serviceable what brand ball joints and possiably a source ( maybe one that supports the site) to purchase these items....... thanks to all replies...........Ron

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ball joints are available separately so you don't have to replace the control arms if you don't want to. But you'll need to press the old ball joints out and press the new one's in - the upper ball joints in my '00 wouldn't come out with a hand press, so I had to remove the arms and have the local repair shop press the ball joints out with their hydraulic press. I was able to replace the lower ball joints while the A-arms were still on the truck.

Thanks Mcormack.
went to auto zone, bought ball joints and borrowed their tool to press them out. be aware that their press tool did not have the right adapters to press these joints out. fortunately i have a small machine shop so i made me some adapters out of some stuff i had lying around and was able to finish the job. first side took 4 hours and 2 hours for the second. a little slow but i havent worked on cars for a living since "91" lol. their tool was OEM # 27023, so be aware that it doesn't contain the right adapters to press these ball joints in and out.
no squeaks and i feel safer.............Ron

Ron, off topic, but do you have a link to pictures of your Mustang?

Here it is at rockingham a couple of years ago.
CopyofRon_s_car.jpg

try this link to the new up grades to roll cage and new bullet:
http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k256/ron_silvey/

Thanks Mcormack.
went to auto zone, bought ball joints and borrowed their tool to press them out. be aware that their press tool did not have the right adapters to press these joints out. fortunately i have a small machine shop so i made me some adapters out of some stuff i had lying around and was able to finish the job. first side took 4 hours and 2 hours for the second. a little slow but i havent worked on cars for a living since "91" lol. their tool was OEM # 27023, so be aware that it doesn't contain the right adapters to press these ball joints in and out.
no squeaks and i feel safer.............Ron
Ball joints are a pain, so I'm glad to hear that you got the job done. When I replaced my ball joints the uppers came with zerk fittings so they could be greased, but I couldn't find lower ball joints with the fittings, and now the lowers are making noise and probably need to be replaced again. It's always something....

lowers, the ball joints can be pressed in and out.

uppers need the entire arm.

Thats a great build on that dart. alot of work in 2 years, it ought to be a nice piece when its done.
mine has taken me 20 years to get where it is now, heck i started buying parts for the new engine, that i just finished , in 95. got a bunch of pictures that i need to scan of the ladder bar/coil over suspension install, stretched wheel openings and cage install. this is the third time the car has been built. seems like its never ending but thats racing.

dmac i was able to replace both upper and lower ball joints on mine , the upper ones were the ones that gave me the most trouble , tough getting around that fenderwell and the stud was too long for the adapter. but PTL i was able to do it .
thanks for the replies and compliments......ron

Back