ball joints and how to find oult what size axel i have | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ball joints and how to find oult what size axel i have

92greenexplorer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
on one sid of my truck i have a ball joint stud that uses a pinch bolt and the other side is a threaded they are the upers and the same with the lowes does it mater and how do i fid out what axel i have they Dana\Spicer 35 axle or a Dana/Spicer 28 axle or does that not mater

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If your ex is 4WD, then you have the D35 axle. You should just be able to buy new ball joints at any auto parts store for (I think) about $45 or so. They are fairly easy to change, and I think that there is a write-up on here somewhere for it.

ive sold ball joints for a 4wd explorer that had the smaller front end. theres a code on your sticker on your drivers door that tells you what axle you have but i forget how to read it.

Most Explorers (99%) use a Dana35 axle..

Dana28 axles have Threaded Upper & Lower ball Joints.
Dana35 axles have Smooth Upper (pinch bolt) and Threaded lower.

Then, there is that goofy hybrid 18/35 setup -- 35 housing with 28 innards... Never saw one of those on an Explorer though -- mainly BIIs.

Then, there is that goofy hybrid 18/35 setup -- 35 housing with 28 innards... Never saw one of those on an Explorer though -- mainly BIIs.

All explorers are D35. D28 production ended in 89. D35/28 Hybrids were a ranger thing.

Back