• Register Today It's free!

ball joints?????help

sonnysux

Reaction score
City, State
TEXAS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 SPORT TRACK
I took my 2001 ford explorer sport trac to a wheel alingment shop and they told me I needed to replace the upper and lower ball joints(he should me they move and there not suppose to)...he also told me I need to put a com bolt kit....he said these trucks dont come with them but they need them.....Parts and Labor would come out to $975......what do yall think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow no no no! not $975!!! thats too expensive!

he's right about the explorers not having adjustable camber bolts. but that offset camber might be due to the ball joints being sick and needs replacement. replace the ball joints first and then see if the camber is still bad. search the site on how to do ball joints as they arent terribly hard to replace (if ur willing to get sweaty/dirty). the lower joints are about $25.00 to $30.00 and you'll need two of those. the upper joints are about $100.00 per side (they come as an entire arm - not just the joints themselves) and you'll need two of those too. there are other little things that ull need like a ball joint press to do the lower, but do a search and you should find plenty on these things. if you do replace the upper joints with your own hands, you will need a front-end alignment afterwards.

i just had mine done.

i have a 97 X and it just got out of the shop today. i had upper an lower both sides , plus cam bolt kits installed, and alignment done. all for $670 in md on route 40. Browns shop. in elkton.

Yea, thats way too high. I got both lowers and one upper done last week in MD with the camber kit, labor, and alignment for $540 on my 97.

FWIW - uppers are expensive but real easy to do yourself if you're even SOMEwhat handy. The lowers are much cheaper but a PITA.

i thnk this thread needs to be closed. we've beaten this topic to the ground, along with probably anything else that has to do with ball joints.

To alleviate this problem, there should be a "useful thread" listing "reasonable prices" for common repairs, like ball joints and such. Whattaya think, mods?

Back