• Register Today It's free!

ball joints

dondiesel444

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 4.0L 4x4 XLT
well, I guess the X now needs pass. side upper ball joint. It was making a TERRIBLE squeking noise the other day, apparently the ball joint boot has is messed up, allowing salt and road grime to get in there. I sprayed some white lithium grease in there, it has quieted down, but I know its only a temperary fix. The ball joint is still tight, but I don't think it will be for long.

ALL THEY WOULD HAVE TO DO IT PUT A GREASE FITTING ON THERE AND THE BALL JOINT WOULD"BE LASTED TWICE AS LONG...

Also, why is it that the pass side ball joint assembly is removable from the upper A-arm, but the drivers side must be replaced as one unit??

More money I have to put in this FPOS, it never ends does it...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea I have to get my camber fixed on the drivers side. The only way to do it is to replace the upper A-arm, because the old one does not have a camber adjustment on it. The new one has a caster and camber adjustment just like the pass side.

Make sure you get MOOG joints put in when you replace them, so you'll have the fittings.

Originally posted by JasonF
Make sure you get MOOG joints put in when you replace them, so you'll have the fittings.

I can't get moog around here any more. from what I have been told Spicer has taken over.

From Advance Auto Parts I can get the drivers side (complete A arm assembly) for like $80, and I can get the passenger side (ball joint that is seprate from the A-arm) for like $50. They both come with a Lifetime warranty. I also get a 10% discount.

I guess the passenger side is a lot easier to install, since you don't have to remove the whole a-arm, but I guess I'll still need and alignment afterwards...

Back