• Register Today It's free!

Ball Joints

eworx

Reaction score
City, State
Hopkins, MN 55343
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer XLS 4.0 OHV
I have a question I have done a search and did not find what I was looking for.

I'm looking at putting all new MOOG ball joints on.
The question is with the upper moog ball joints can you get the ball joints by there self or do they only come W/CONTROL ARM. if you can get it either way would I benefit from the new control arms the only lift I have is the TT..

Thanks for any help,

Moog upper ball joints can be replaced without replacing the upper control arm, provided you already have the Moog upper control arms. Napaonline sells just the upper ball joint for $56.49 and the upper control arms (with ball joints for $174.00) You would benefit from the Moog control arms since they provide additional travel over the factory upper control arms (just what the TT could use). I haven't been fourwheeling since I put on my upper control arms so I can't say for sure whether or not the difference is noticeable when driving, but I did notice the Moog ball joints could be swung around a much wider arc than the OEM ones.

The extra travel, would that be a plus or a con on a lowered vehicle?

It would never be a con since your other suspension parts typically limit your travel anyway. If by chance though that the combination of parts on your lowered Explorer is now causing your control arm to be the limiting factor in your travel then it would probably benefit from the increased travel. If your control arms are already hitting your bump stops at full compression (which they should since even the factory setup does) then you won't gain anything in the compression. If on the downstroke the upper ball joint prevents your suspension from dropping any further then you might get a little more downward travel. On a lowered Explorer I doubt if the extra range of motion will be a benefit though. Mainly it helps on a lifted Explorer when longer than OEM shocks are used. The factory suspension will bottom out the front shocks before the control arm bottoms out.

Back