• Register Today It's free!

Bama Chip service and chip review

cifer

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
When I first contacted Doug via email about burning my SCT single program chip, he replied the same day. One point for Bamachips. We stayed in contact over the next couple of days, discussing what I wanted. I wanted to continue using 87, as I do not have a heavy foot, and would rather not spend more money than I have to on gas. In addition, I wanted some gas efficiency, as well as performance. To sum it up, I wanted performance at the least cost. He was more than happy to give me what I wanted, although I'm sure he was more inclined to give me max power! I sent my chip via UPS ground. I believe it arrived to him on a Monday, and he had it programmed and back on its way home on Tuesday...via 2 or 3 day air (can't remember, but it was FAST), no less! Didn't get a chance for the install until the following week, but once I did, I was very impressed! Better pickup, especially in the midrange, and for the first time, I could hear air being sucked into my stock air filter! Since then, I've made more observations: 1. The following day, while driving on the freeway, I got a CEL. I contacted Doug, and he had a very good idea of what the problem may be. He even offered to cover return shipping charges for the reburn. As more days passed, I was low on gas, and filled up at Shell (I normally use Chevron). My CEL went out shortly after. Don't know if the gas was the cause of the CEL, have to wait and see. 2. Pickup is not "snap your head back" kind of action, but remember that I did request that, either. Had I chosed to go with a 91 program, I have no doubt that my truck would feel more like a modified sports car than a lifted X. Overall, I have to say that I am extremely pleased with both the customer service and tuning from a great guy and promising businessman. Thanks Doug!
p.s. Switched back to Chevron, and got the CEL back. Gonna go through this tank, and try Shell again and see what happens.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Cifer,

I'm glad your happy with your tuning, as you've stated it's not all I can do since it's 87 but it's about all you can possibly do using that rating of fuel. Not to mention the California fuels aren't that great to begin with.

I was beginning to wonder where you had went because I hadn't heard from you in a while. Like I said I pride myself on my customer service and if one of my customers is having any type of issue with their programming they are my first priority. Tell you what I'll do, I have a Red chip here in my stock, I'll program it using your calibration code and correct the learning for the sensors using the fuel out there and send it your way. Try it and if everythings good from there, no CEL's or performance problems, just send me your old chip and we'll call it even.

Thanks, Doug.

wow this sounds great, Nice to meet you Doug, you seem like a very good person to do bussiness with.

yeah but what are your dyno results ?

Sorry I could not resist :)

Thanks for the review. Keep us posted on the CEL.

off-road97Xplor said:
wow this sounds great, Nice to meet you Doug, you seem like a very good person to do bussiness with.

He is a GREAT person to deal with. As is Wayne at Hypnotic Illusions. We are very fortunate to have these guys as sponsors of this site.

Apten who?

celly said:
Apten who?

Two years ago who would have thunk any one here would have the nerve to utter such words here ? :)

MONMIX said:
Two years ago who would have thunk any one here would have the nerve to utter such words here ? :)

Nevermind 2 years ago. I've only been on this site 6-7 months and Apten was the be all end all back then. Much the reason I went that route. No regrets. I got decent service and the programming has been fine. I just look forward to trying out the much more personalized service of Wayne and Doug. Gene Fine at Apten was OK, but spent a small % of the time to personalize a tune that both Wayne and Doug invest.

Apten's dead around here now. Finally we have alternatives! :thumbsup:

AWAY NOTICE
Spindlecone would like to partake in this thread but is taking sensitivity classes and has no computer access at this time.
Almost born again

spindlecone said:
AWAY NOTICE
Spindlecone would like to partake in this thread but is taking sensitivity classes and has no computer access at this time.
Almost born again

Friggin Norcal FREAKS. :thumbdwn:

;) <---------------------------(sarcasm intended)

AWAY NOTICE
Almost born again

Careful! I think you almost got banned... LOL. Those sensitivity classes required for continued participation on Explorerforum? :p

I have been kicking around getting a program from Doug for a compairo'. Just need a comparison... and maybe a dyno. I think a graph would be the best way to tell the difference between two programs as opposed to, say, 2 hp. I dont know... Im a little off topic... Ill go away. :confused:

Hopefully not.

Bama seems to be the next Apten, without the negatives. If I didn't have an Apten I'd have a Brama.

Haven't been on the site for a while, and just yesterday Doug sent me an email about offering to send me the other chip! When he says that he works on customer service, he lives up to that promise. In my first post I forgot to mention that the day he received my chip, he called me that day to tell me that he had already programmed it and it would be on its way home the next day. Awesome. Now, I wait for the new chip to come and will be posting my thoughts again next week. Thanks again, Doug!

Back