BANG! when get off the gas

95offroadx

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Palmyra, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer xlt
when im goin down the road, and i have my the pedal a 1/4 down and then take it off completly i get a bang noise, what is this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My guesses are...

A) Engine/Tranny mount

B) U-joint or hardware slappin around

C) Exhaust hitting something

D) All of the above (wouldn't that be some ****?)

I would rate the most likely B above.

E) Play in the pinion.

my moms did that when her rear end went on her '94..it had about 1/2" play in the pinion and whined really really bad.

96limitedX said:
my moms did that when her rear end went on her '94..it had about 1/2" play in the pinion and whined really really bad.
witnessed the same on a '97 ;) thought 0.5" of play sounds deadly :eek:
the 97 i worked on had about one-eighth of an inch of play.

No one mentioned exhaust leak backfire? :confused:

IZwack said:
witnessed the same on a '97 ;) thought 0.5" of play sounds deadly :eek:
the 97 i worked on had about one-eighth of an inch of play.

it was BAD...it was seriously that close to blowing it self up! it had been whining for a good 10k miles. we swaped it with a used rear end w/68k on it..all good and now its quite again!! yay..

anyway sorry to get OT :)

Does it vibrate at freeway speeds? When my Limited's U joints went bad it would shake the whole truck at certain throttles. My GT is doing that now but it's in anyway. See how much play is in the pinion. And does your diffy whine?

no it doesnt viberate at high speeds, i just get a thumping/bangin nosie when i take my foot off the gas

does it stay constant after you let off or just when it happens? Maybe some A4LD demons? Some slop in the pinion would be expected after your 3wheelin trip, bet that shook things good. BTW, how'd that all turn out, its all fixed i take it.

help after a total front end rebuild lol and $1200 its perfect(besides the alignment) but i took it to the shop, and the banging was a bent driveshaft, went to the junk yard got a used one thats not bent, and it fixed the bangin, now onto the new mods!haha

Crawl under it and feel for play in the U joints, and play in the pinion and input shaft

no nothin that big yet, just some small stuff(speakers, cb) maybe bumpers(santa brings me what i asked for) :D

I'd check the u-joints too. I just replaced mine because of that noise.

have you tried tightenig the bolts:lower coil mount(if you have to tighten it everyday then put an extra bolt over the origonal bolt-tie rod- radius arms(all 3)-wheel bearing and spindle nut(jack up front tire and check 4 play Tighten inner nut finger or hand tight with manual hub tool and the outer with the impact gun-
-a 1-1/8" deep socket is nice w/ extensions 4 coil mount

Back