Bank 1 and Bank 2 Lean... Please help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bank 1 and Bank 2 Lean... Please help

phillymscott

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 explorer sport
Ok let me explain, my check engine light is on and it says Bank 1 and Bank 2 are lean. Now let me tell you what all I've done. Cleaned my MAF, Replaced the fuel filter, Replaced the air filter and I replaced an 02 sensor a while ago. When I replaced the o2 sensor the computer told me exactly which one to change, therefore I don't think it could be that. I've talked to 3 different very experienced car guys and each have told me different things- an o2 sensor, intake manifold gasket, air hose leak. Anybody had this happen to them and they couldn't figure it out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

most likely intake manifold gaskets, but could also be a pretty big vaccum leak like from a cracked PCV elbow or intake tube. both problems are common on this engine.

Ohv engine has the same issues with the upper plenum o-rings. Very common, not too difficult to replace but plan to struggle a bit with the egr tube.

Back