Bank 1 and bank 2 running lean and also having hesitation when giving gas from a stop | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bank 1 and bank 2 running lean and also having hesitation when giving gas from a stop

Fernando Barron

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford explorer sport
Hi I have a 2001 ford explorer sport with the 4.0 sohc I recently got my check engine light on and it said that bank 1 and bank 2 are running lean so I check the vacuum lines for cracks or rips but found nothing and a couple days ago it started hesitating when I would accelerate from a stop and also started to have a rough idle so I changed the spark plugs but the problem is still there if you guys have any idea it would be much help before I start spending serious money on her thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the intake gaskets. Edit: maybe precat o2's.

Got a CEL light? If so get those codes read should help with a process of elimination

I'm guessing P0171 and P0174? Bad intake gaskets are notorious for triggering these codes.

Dirty mas air flow or a leak between the mas air flow and TB (e.g. hole in the intake tube)...

I don't remember if the older explorer (still odb-II) can tell what the fuel pressure is but low fuel pressure can make it run lean and if the ECU can't read the fuel pressure it won't know.

~Mark

Back