Bank 1 running rich with missfire codes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bank 1 running rich with missfire codes

Tony H

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
New York, Wading River (that's on Long Island)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Eddie Bauer
hi folks.. it's been a long time since I posted. I sold my '99 explorer so I have been visiting and trying to help but not posting questions.
Asking for a friend. '04 explorer V6 getting codes for random missfires, all on bank 1. also getting codes for Rich system on bank 1 and Lean running on bank 2.
Clear the codes and they come back. Swapped the spark plugs from side to side makes no difference.
compression: Bank 1 all have 130 dry Bank 2 all have 200 dry. not sure if it's relevant.
any ideas?

slipped camshaft timing?

Low compression for all cylinders on one bank often is caused by a slipped camshaft on that bank. Bank 1 is the passenger side and bank 2 is the driver side. Is bank 1 noisy like a diesel engine? The only way to tell for sure is to remove the valve cover and check the camshaft timing. You could remove the oil pan and check for pieces of plastic in the pan and the oil pickup tube screen. If you find them that confirms the cassette guide is broken.

Low compression for all cylinders on one bank often is caused by a slipped camshaft on that bank. Bank 1 is the passenger side and bank 2 is the driver side. Is bank 1 noisy like a diesel engine? The only way to tell for sure is to remove the valve cover and check the camshaft timing. You could remove the oil pan and check for pieces of plastic in the pan and the oil pickup tube screen. If you find them that confirms the cassette guide is broken.
slightly noisy on startup but not what i would expect from a bad timing chain tensi0ner or something like that.
'slipped camshaft'? not sure what that means. slipped as in jumped the chain a tooth?

yup, you nailed it. called my friend, he already did some digging. I guess he will be pulling the engine to get to the rear chain

Back