Barn Find 1993 Explorer

harister

Reaction score
City, State
Youngstown OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer 2 door
Hello,

I recently purchased a 1993 Explorer 2-door Eddie Bauer edition that has been in a barn since 2002. It has a nice body, some surface rust underneath, but nothing too bad, and a mint interior. 69 or 169k miles, can't tell for sure.
Anyway, I've been working on cars for the last 20 years, but all have been full-size 50's-80's Cadillacs, Lincolns, Imperials etc. I have had little experience with fuel injection, 4WD and onboard computers, and none with Ford's truck products.

So this Explorer runs when I spray fuel into the air intake. Otherwise it doesn't. Should I take the gas tank off, spray compressed air through the line, and check the fuel pump? What kind of job is this (2 hours or 10?)

Also, are there any other issues I should be aware of? Someone mentioned the transmission dipstick tube rusting, is that a concern with this model? Anything else to change/replace (other than a tuneup/fluid flushes) that I should be aware of?

Many thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The fuel injectors can clog i would clean the lines do a tune up and then go from there the fuel lines can rust also

Of course replace fuel and fuel filter. once done when you turn the key to run do you hear the hum of the fuel pump. If not check the fuses/relays if they test out good then think about replacing the pump.

If there was gas in the tank (I'm sure there was), it will likely gunk up the pump and filter quickly. I would replace the filter and remove the fuel pump as a preventative measure; even if the pump is fine, the pump intake sock may be clogged and you don't want to starve the engine of fuel. Cutting an access panel to get at the pump may be a lot easier than dropping the tank, but that is personal preference. Doing a search on the forum (use the Google search box at the top of the page) will turn up a how-to on cutting an access panel. Keep in mind that the pump retaining ring may be rusted and need replacement, but they are available pretty cheaply at NAPA and other stores. Might want to replace the pump while you are in there as preventative maintenance.

It is unlikely that any gunk has made its way to the injectors. The injectors do have tiny filters in each, but the main fuel filter won't let anything by unless it is damaged internally.

Other than cleaning the fuel system, a general tune up is a good idea. This includes re-greasing all suspension grease points to flush out the old and possibly moisture-filled grease. I would replace all fluids and flush the cooling system. Doing an oiling system flush wouldn't be a bad idea either; drain the oil, replace with store brand transmission fluid, run for 20-30 minutes, drain and fill with good quality oil. Don't forget the oil filter. The transmission itself can benefit from a fluid flush as well, and the transfer case and differentials will want new fluids too.

Sounds similar to my experience with a 92, except that got totaled a couple of years ago. I got it in 2006 or 2007 with 65K miles on it. (Bought it from dad). The big issue for me was brakes. The fluid had absorbed moisture and corroded the RABS valve so that it wouldn't let brake pressure to the rear wheels. If you have standard ABS, you might have different issues.

Back