Base 21 talk me out of it.....(so we did) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Base 21 talk me out of it.....(so we did)

Evan2021

Reaction score
City, State
Kimball, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer Xlt 200a
Power drivers seat, power windows, tow package on most dealer inventory, copilot 360.

What am I giving up vs the xlt? Leather steering wheel, fog lights & heated seats. Am I missing anything else?

New member here looking at buying an explorer and I think the base is the model for me. I searched the fourms and didn't see much on the base model for discussions.

I've been looking at the Honda Pilot and Kia Telluride but I'm drawn to the rwd based explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not going to try, if that is what you want, you'll be happy with it. They are great vehicles. the XLT adds some luxury and tech features, that you may not need/want. I kinda agree with you, I bought the explorer for my daily driver, and to haul supplies around our farm, so it's going to get dirty and I did not see a reason to have leather or other surfaces that will just get beat up easy.

Good luck!

How much are you saving though?

I was able to get my almost fully loaded XLT for 42k. Isn't a base like 38 or 39? You could always brush up on your negotiating skills and get some options added to the car for a little more money. Couldn't hurt to try.

I couldn't do a base. I sometimes see base explorers during my commute. They're always black. They look very plain. Almost like a dated design. It might be the pairing of the 18" wheels and the black color, no tints etc. But i think if you're going to going to keep it for anything longer than 3 years (otherwise just lease it?), then i would get something a bit more "presentable".

The AWD is nice to have too.

Welcome to the Forum Evan. :wave:
You can go to the Ford website and use the Build & Price feature to compare the 2. Or I believe there may be a comparison tool that you can use.
You can also check out the 2021 Order Guide. Updated 2020 Order Guide
The final decision is yours.

Peter

How much are you saving though?

I was able to get my almost fully loaded XLT for 42k. Isn't a base like 38 or 39? You could always brush up on your negotiating skills and get some options added to the car for a little more money. Couldn't hurt to try.

I couldn't do a base. I sometimes see base explorers during my commute. They're always black. They look very plain. Almost like a dated design. It might be the pairing of the 18" wheels and the black color, no tints etc. But i think if you're going to going to keep it for anything longer than 3 years (otherwise just lease it?), then i would get something a bit more "presentable".

The AWD is nice to have too.

I haven't started the dealer negotiations yet.

The 4wd/awd is the same between base and xlt isn't it?

This is a 4wd base with tow package: $36,015 msrp,
"advertised price based on A/Z" $31,543 https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/830179439/overview/

Basic 4wd xlt with tow package: $37,790 msrp
"advertised price based on A/Z" $33,308

$1700 difference, adds some chrome trim, leather steering wheel, keyless start/entry, bigger digital dash, and power passenger seat, but loses the second row bench

Really gunna have to sit in each see which one I prefer and then see what the dealers could do on pricing. As I perfer the bench but the keyless entry would be nice.

Go XLT. Just be a good negotiator and don't say anything about down payment trade ins etc.... Negotiate your price first, But XLT will be the right pic even if you don't want all those features it will be good for resale if you ever want to sell it or trade in in the future.

I haven't started the dealer negotiations yet.

The 4wd/awd is the same between base and xlt isn't it?

This is a 4wd base with tow package: $36,015 msrp,
"advertised price based on A/Z" $31,543 https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/830179439/overview/

Basic 4wd xlt with tow package: $37,790 msrp
"advertised price based on A/Z" $33,308

$1700 difference, adds some chrome trim, leather steering wheel, keyless start/entry, bigger digital dash, and power passenger seat, but loses the second row bench

Really gunna have to sit in each see which one I prefer and then see what the dealers could do on pricing. As I perfer the bench but the keyless entry would be nice.

Oh, i thought you were looking at a RWD model.

That 1700 dollars extra is definitely worth it. Plus could help with resale if you decide to sell later.

You're buying or leasing?

That's a good price though for the XLT. Prices sure do vary depending on location. That XLT you posted would've been 41-42 by me.

I need my 20" wheels though and the fog lights do make the front end more appealing. And gotta have heated seats and a heated steering wheel.

I don't care for the tow package or the 2nd row. I have a 2nd row bench though. Wish it had captains chairs.

Oh, i thought you were looking at a RWD model.

That 1700 dollars extra is definitely worth it. Plus could help with resale if you decide to sell later.

You're buying or leasing?

That's a good price though for the XLT. Prices sure do vary depending on location. That XLT you posted would've been 41-42 by me.

I need my 20" wheels though and the fog lights do make the front end more appealing. And gotta have heated seats and a heated steering wheel.

I don't care for the tow package or the 2nd row. I have a 2nd row bench though. Wish it had captains chairs.

+1 on the heated seats and steering wheel if your in a cold climate. This is my first vehicle with those options and will not be with out them.

Good luck and hope you enjoy which ever one you buy.

I had a 2020 AWD base quoted For work at $26k I’m sure it had nothin. Really wanted to buy it just to have for a spare work vehicle at that price.

I don't know about the bench in the 6th gen but the middle seat was very narrow in the 5th gen. Almost unusable for an adult.

Peter

I don't know about the bench in the 6th gen but the middle seat was very narrow in the 5th gen. Almost unusable for an adult.

Peter
I just like the bench seat for the dogs. Not sure how they would do with captain chairs.

Mine ride in the cargo area.

Power drivers seat, power windows, tow package on most dealer inventory, copilot 360.

What am I giving up vs the xlt? Leather steering wheel, fog lights & heated seats. Am I missing anything else?

New member here looking at buying an explorer and I think the base is the model for me. I searched the fourms and didn't see much on the base model for discussions.

I've been looking at the Honda Pilot and Kia Telluride but I'm drawn to the rwd based explorer
These days even the base models are fairly well decked out with features. Heck, my loaded 2010 Mountaineer doesn't have many features that a base 2021 Explorer doesn't have. The base 2021 model probably has several features I wish mine had! Plus, the basic models have less things to go wrong with them which is important as the miles rack up and the warranty expires. Repairing these higher end features will be hella expensive outside of having a warranty.

One thing I would get is the tow package even if you never plan to tow anything. The reason is this package has a dedicated transmission cooler which will help a lot in keeping the transmission more reliable over time.

These days even the base models are fairly well decked out with features. Heck, my loaded 2010 Mountaineer doesn't have many features that a base 2021 Explorer doesn't have. The base 2021 model probably has several features I wish mine had! Plus, the basic models have less things to go wrong with them which is important as the miles rack up and the warranty expires. Repairing these higher end features will be hella expensive outside of having a warranty.

One thing I would get is the tow package even if you never plan to tow anything. The reason is this package has a dedicated transmission cooler which will help a lot in keeping the transmission more reliable over time.
Yeah compared to my 12 ram express it's pretty much "loaded"

The reason is this package has a dedicated transmission cooler which will help a lot in keeping the transmission more reliable over time.

So long as you get the recall done. Otherwise, you're likely to end up dry and nuke your transmission eventually.

So long as you get the recall done. Otherwise, you're likely to end up dry and nuke your transmission eventually.
Aside from a possible design flaw, a transmission cooler will increase transmission reliability over time. A recall can be on any number of components and if a person chooses to not have them done, or be aware that they exist, then they can't blame Ford for a failure. Especially with recall notices sent to owners via mail and other means and they are easy to find with a simple Google search.

Aside from a possible design flaw, a transmission cooler will increase transmission reliability over time. A recall can be on any number of components and if a person chooses to not have them done, or be aware that they exist, then they can't blame Ford for a failure. Especially with recall notices sent to owners via mail and other means and they are easy to find with a simple Google search.
That's exactly what I was pointing out. There is a known flaw, and it needs maintenance. Wanted that to stick to the page for those that find this thread later.

The little I know about the base is the headlamps don´t say "Explorer" and you don´t have the option for the 202A package of the XLT that ads active x seats, fog lamps, remote start, heated steering wheel. Also I kind of read somewhere that XLT and up are getting 3,000 price drop, can´t confirm but read it somewhere. My advice, stablish a budget and stuff you need to have, then go shopping to a dealer maybe the price between Base and XLT is too narrow in real market. Good luck

+1 on the heated seats and steering wheel if your in a cold climate. This is my first vehicle with those options and will not be with out them.

Good luck and hope you enjoy which ever one you buy.

I got spoiled with those luxuries. Thankfully because of modern tech and evolution, even weekend toys can be fast and still have those same luxuries.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also got spoiled on my last 2 explorers, XLT, to me they have the perfect blend of price and luxury. Now I avoid base models. The only thing I don't like about the new XLT is that the side mirrors dont have turn signals. I hope they add them soon.

Back