Base Explorer key --> switchblade | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Base Explorer key --> switchblade

VA Explorer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Ford Explorer
So I hated the standard key that came with my 2012 base explorer so I bought an aftermarket switchblade key off ebay, had it cut, and programed it myself. Really easy to do and so much better (IMO) than the standard key.

Here's what I bought off ebay if anybody's interested: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281087551182?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

The quality is actually really nice, solid feeling etc. And despite the add, it also came with a Ford logo to make it look OEM. You don't have to buy two, you can buy one, just look for his other listing. It's a three button remote with the panic button on the side.

I can post the programming instructions if anybody's interested. Or you can just have the gentleman who's selling it email it to you. It literally took less than 5 minutes to program both, once you get it cut obviously.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

darn if it had a remote start button I'd be all over that for my Raptor

I picked up a flip key from mykeyless (ebay) for our '06 mustang. Its a slightly different style but I just wanted to say I really like the flip/switch blade style keys.. No more FOB hanging/bouncing around..

~Mark

I picked up a flip key from mykeyless (ebay) for our '06 mustang. Its a slightly different style but I just wanted to say I really like the flip/switch blade style keys.. No more FOB hanging/bouncing around..

~Mark

Yeah, I've owned two Acuras that all came with the flip key so I knew once I saw the lame key that came with the explorer I had to get one.

I've been a huge fan of switchblade keys since I bought my first Audi. I love not having the metal key dig into my leg while the key is in my pocket. Or wear holes in my pockets. I would be all over this if I didn't have push button start. GREAT FIND!!!!

Back