• Register Today It's free!

Base model...

CallOfDuty

Reaction score
City, State
Dartmouth N.S.
Year, Model & Trim Level
none yet
Hello there everyone. New member here and prospective X buyer. I'm seriously considering buying the new explorer, but I'm kind of a low-tech, just concerned about quality kind of guy.
Does anyone here have the base model....and if so, have you been pleased with it so far? Do you wish now, that you would have spent more and purchased the XLT or Limited?

Thanks all!
Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello there everyone. New member here and prospective X buyer. I'm seriously considering buying the new explorer, but I'm kind of a low-tech, just concerned about quality kind of guy.
Does anyone here have the base model....and if so, have you been pleased with it so far? Do you wish now, that you would have spent more and purchased the XLT or Limited?

Thanks all!
Steve

Steve,
I have the base model, and to be honest I AM completely satisfied. Most of the upgrades for the XLT or LTD seemed unnecessary to me. The MFT is really the biggest thing and I just didn't need it. I was able to add the one feature that I wanted not available on the Base, which was auto headlamps, for about 150$, may get some new wheels since the base only has wheel covers over steel wheels, but everything else like chrome pieces and seats that fold by themselves seems like alot of un-needed fluff to me really. So after the long answer the short answer is yes I have been very pleased.

The best thing is to be sure of what you want so later there will not be shoulda coulda woulda's i have the 302a bells and whislte and love it!!

obviously all the bells and whistles would have been nice....but still its a family car the only thing I will be adding is the headrest DVD system for the kids, will say I miss the plug in I had in my 2008 Escape though, but could not see any reason to spend an extra 10 grand for a limited to get a plug in..point is if you have the means to buy an XLT or LTD with the bells and whistles I would absolutely do it, you would enjoy the features I am sure even if you are not techy.

i was considering the base model but 3 things made me change my mind to a XLT:

1). base has no fog lamps.
2). base has no auto-dimming rearview mirror.
3). base only steel wheels with covers as usranger80 mentioned.

just wanted to point out in case you need any of the above.

i was considering the base model but 3 things made me change my mind to a XLT:

1). base has no fog lamps.
2). base has no auto-dimming rearview mirror.
3). base only steel wheels with covers as usranger80 mentioned.

just wanted to point out in case you need any of the above.

1.)agree the no fog lamps kind of stinks..but I got over it fast
2.) auto-dimming rearview mirror can be added for 150$ from Ford or cheaper after-market
3.) and if you really wanted, OEM Limited wheels and tires can be added for 1000$ for the wheels and the price of whatever tires you choose.

Thanks for the replies guys! The only thing that I think I would really want in the limited is the push button start and leather, lol.
What's the deal with auto dimming rear view mirrors? What ever happened to reaching up and flicking the knobby..? I almost think it's kind of silly that we rely on the technology so much that actually doing a shoulder check to the next lane is gone by the wayside and now we need a ding ding bell/light?
I was thinking one good thing about the 17 inch rims on the base model would be the future cost of replacing them, as well as getting winter tires etc.

Thanks again guys...and I really like the forum you have here!
Steve

Thanks for the replies guys! The only thing that I think I would really want in the limited is the push button start and leather, lol.
What's the deal with auto dimming rear view mirrors? What ever happened to reaching up and flicking the knobby..? I almost think it's kind of silly that we rely on the technology so much that actually doing a shoulder check to the next lane is gone by the wayside and now we need a ding ding bell/light?
I was thinking one good thing about the 17 inch rims on the base model would be the future cost of replacing them, as well as getting winter tires etc.

Thanks again guys...and I really like the forum you have here!
Steve

I think you are confused the auto-dimming rearview mirror with the BLIS system. Auto-dimming rearview mirror just dimmers the headlight reflection from the car right behind you, so that it won't affect your visibility. Especially good when the idiot behind you left the high beam on! With auto-dimming rearview mirror, you still have to do shoulder check for blind spot! Well, even if you have the BLIS system, you still have to do shoulder check cos, on another thread, a guy is saying that it can only detect cars right next to you, not one lane over.

i understand what you mean by "relying on the technology"...just like these new staff in my office, they use excel but never check the result, sometimes I tell them, your buttom line numbers don't make sense....then of course, they screw up the formulas!

Im still debating between the Base or the XLT, as I said before on a previous post on some other thread, custom taxes vary down here every day, so It will depend on the final price. I ordered mine last month and it should arrive on May.
If I get the base model, besides the wheels (wich I already have) I would really, really like to get the FOG lights and the HIDs conversion, anyone knows where could I get them ?
Thanks

For the fog lights you would either have to get a whole new plastic bumper cover or you would have to do some cutting since they molded the spots for the fog lamps closed instead of using a plastic plug. as for the HID conversion, there are all sorts of places on the internet you can go to find such a kit.

Thanks, I dont have a problem with cutting the plastic, but do they even sell the fog lights kit ?

Thanks, I dont have a problem with cutting the plastic, but do they even sell the fog lights kit ?

you can get every part of the car from Fordparts.com, except the chrome door handle it seems, but everything else can be purchased and if you find the right dealer on there it can be up to 50% off the MSRP of the part.

you can get every part of the car from Fordparts.com, except the chrome door handle it seems, but everything else can be purchased and if you find the right dealer on there it can be up to 50% off the MSRP of the part.

If anyone decides to order parts from here, enter a zip code of 30071 and choose Peach State Ford. They seem to be the cheapest Ford parts dealer in the country (that we've found). They will ship it to you for much less than your local dealer. Example: my local dealer wants $303 for the driver's side sun visor with homelink. Peach State has it for $227.

If anyone decides to order parts from here, enter a zip code of 30071 and choose Peach State Ford. They seem to be the cheapest Ford parts dealer in the country (that we've found). They will ship it to you for much less than your local dealer. Example: my local dealer wants $303 for the driver's side sun visor with homelink. Peach State has it for $227.

I agree. that is who I use, fortunate for me Peach State Ford is only 90 miles away so I pick up my parts when I drive through to Atlanta, they do have the lowest prices I have seen, and edge929, 90 miles from you is where I grew up oddly enough.

Sweet, anyone has a part number for the fog ligths ? do they sell them as a kit ? Wiring should be included right ?

Thanks all!
Steve

Hey Steve,

My name is Seni, I'm with Ford Customer Service. I myself do not drive an Explorer so can not speak by personal experience. However, reading through this forum and the Explorer Facebook page, it is very evident that Explorer owners are quite happy with their Base models for a variety of reasons. Some simply just wouldn't have used all the technology available on higher models. The Explorer has something to offer for everyone, sometimes some just don't need as much as others. If I can be of any assistance as you make this decision, please do not hesitate to PM me. Thank you.

Seni

Back