basic detailing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

basic detailing

I am looking for some basic detailing steps and info. I tried searching but found only two threads. I know there is quite a bit of discussion over what the best products are, but my question is what are the best steps to a great detail. I try and detail my Black explorer 2x a year by washing, and waxing, wich was great when it was new, but now that it is 3 years old, I am looking at doing a bit more to restore the finish. I also removed the bug guard and found some very light scratches that I will need to remove. This is my thought then I would like to hear everyones suggestions for a basic detail.

1. wash it with a quality soap
2. dry with a chamois
3. remove any scratches with a clear coat scratch remover ( like maguirs scratch X)
4. Clay bar the entire vehicle
5. Wax the entire care with a DA buffer

Did I miss a step to a basic detail? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wash
Clay
Rinse
Polish or Glaze
Wax and/or Sealant

To dry use a Waffle Weave. To apply polish/glaze/wax/sealant use a foam app. To remove use a microfiber towel. That is the short of it. Definitely go to Autopia, you will learn alot there.

What about dressing the rubber? (tires,bumpers)

Clay?

What does the clay bar do?

often over looked is the door jambs.

give them a decent wipe down.

It removes stuff thats stuck in your clear coat, like little bits of road tar, overspary, etc. It will really make a difference in how smooth your paint feels.
do you recommend doing this even if there arent any things like that in my paint?

Cool! Thanks guys...I'm always looking for new ideas. Is there a certain brand that you recommend?

Meguiars Smooth Surface Kit

I just bought this at Autozone the other day for $16. Has a bottle of Meguiars Quick Detailing spray, a microfiber cloth, two clay bars, and a small sample bottle of wax cleaner. Just clayed today for the first time on a 8 year old car and it was amazing how much contaminants it took of and how smooth it felt. I didnt think my car could feel this smooth! I would definitely recommend this 'kit' for a little starter pack. :thumbsup:

Its always prudent to clay.

George_H_W_Bush.jpg

I think that's what this guy used to say... :)

ok..i also went to look at the clay thingys. Read the directions, but it didn't make any sence. explain it so that it makes sence..lol

Basically you need to knead the clay first to make it more pliable, then mist on the quick detailer spray in a small area, rub the clay over the paint, you don't need to apply a lot of force. then wipe off the area off with the microfiber towel. Just go over the whole car like that. When the clay gets dirty on the bottom, just knead it again until you get a clean area.

Basically you need to knead the clay first to make it more pliable, then mist on the quick detailer spray in a small area, rub the clay over the paint, you don't need to apply a lot of force. then wipe off the area off with the microfiber towel. Just go over the whole car like that. When the clay gets dirty on the bottom, just knead it again until you get a clean area.
2 more questions.... do i have to use that kind of towel? #2. Will I have to wax afterwards?

It's better to use a microfiber towel, it's a lot less likely to leave scratches in the paint, you can pick up a pack of 8 at walmart for $5. You should definetly wax after clay, The clay will take just about everything off the paint leaving it unprotected.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cool...thanks so much for your help. I'm thinking I'll go with the Mother's kit...comes with everything I will need...except the cloth. :notworthy :wavey:

Back