basic detailing | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

basic detailing

I am looking for some basic detailing steps and info. I tried searching but found only two threads. I know there is quite a bit of discussion over what the best products are, but my question is what are the best steps to a great detail. I try and detail my Black explorer 2x a year by washing, and waxing, wich was great when it was new, but now that it is 3 years old, I am looking at doing a bit more to restore the finish. I also removed the bug guard and found some very light scratches that I will need to remove. This is my thought then I would like to hear everyones suggestions for a basic detail.

1. wash it with a quality soap
2. dry with a chamois
3. remove any scratches with a clear coat scratch remover ( like maguirs scratch X)
4. Clay bar the entire vehicle
5. Wax the entire care with a DA buffer

Did I miss a step to a basic detail? Any suggestions?

Thanks

here is where I stand different
I wash the vehicle completely with Dawn to remove all the old goo. In this process dawn is fine but other wise I would never use it. Rinse completely, then one pannel at a time using a fresh bucket of soapy water I get each pannel soapy and then clay bar. ( as opposed to using some sort of mist. )
I have foud using soapy water lubricates the clay bar better, and leaves less streaks.

The end result is a smooth as glass finish hence being considerabaly more reflective.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas.

I was going to use the maguirs scratch x to remove the small scratches left on the front of my hood left from my bug guard I removed. If that does not remove them what would my next step be

Wow

Used the claybar on my truck last night. I always thought that my paint was in really good shape, but after using this thing...the results were pretty impressive! I recommend doing this to everyone. Thanks again guys.

Back