Basic question about coolant drain and fill | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Basic question about coolant drain and fill

dcdyd

Reaction score
City, State
Eden Prairie, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer
This is the first time I do a coolant drain and fill and I have some basic questions. From what I read procedures for coolant exchange are described below.

1) Drop the lower radiator hose and drain the coolant.
2) Fill distilled water and run the car about 10 minutes while turning the heater to maximum.
3) Wait until car cool down and drain coolant again.
4) Repeat 2 and 3 if necessary.
5) Fill 50/50 coolant water mix and that is it.

My questions are below.

a) After step 3, will there still water remained in the cooling system?
b) Since there is certain coolant remaining in heat core after step 1, would the water be mixed with the coolant in step 2? If yes, after step 5, the coolant in the system would not be a correct 50/50 mix. Am I right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a) Yes -- mostly in the engine block / water jackets. Hence step 4, which will allow the thermostat to open and more of the "old" coolant mix to re-enter the radiator so it can be drained
b) Correct, but it's a small amount compared to the total capacity of the cooling system, so it's negligible

a) Yes -- mostly in the engine block / water jackets. Hence step 4, which will allow the thermostat to open and more of the "old" coolant mix to re-enter the radiator so it can be drained
b) Correct, but it's a small amount compared to the total capacity of the cooling system, so it's negligible

The more times I use water to run the system, the more water will be remained in the system, right? So may be it is better to run water into the system for only one or two times.

Another question. Can I use any after market coolant or it is better to buy it from the dealer?

The more times I use water to run the system, the more water will be remained in the system, right? So may be it is better to run water into the system for only one or two times.

Better to rinse 2 or more times..just make the mixture a littler higher like maybe 55/45.
I never had a prob using prestone antifreeze or the like.

Thanks for all the answers and information. I will do it this weekend.

Do not use 50/50 coolant. Why pay the extra money for water. Out here purified drinking water in the grocery is about $1.00 per gallon, and anti freeze is about $8.00 per gallon. And if you use 50/50 mix, the water in the block will dilute the mixture. In Minnesota, you don't want to dilute the mixture. I usually drain and put in a gallon of straight anti freeze, fill with water, less than a gallon. System specs call for just under two gallons. Drive, or run engine to warm up and mix coolant. After engine cools, check coolant strength. If radiator is full add whatever you need to coolant reservoir, which you have previously drained. Be sure to "burp" the system. I run the front up on ramps when filling the radiator. You HAVE to get all the air out of the cooling system.

aftermarket coolant is fine.. just go to napa or oreily or whatever place you want.. you can save a few dollars by buying the coolant not "pre mixed" and mixing your own batch with "DISTILLED" water... or you can just buy premixed and throw it in and be good... the radiator does have a "drain ****" that you use an allen wrench to loosen and coolant will fall out... to go that route you need to take off the radiator skid plate to get to it. I have done both and though the lower radiator hose is easier but can get messy...

Dewey. Good advice. Exactly what I was going to say.

Great advice again. Thank you all folks. I appreciate that. By the way, I read that 98 doesn't have drain ****. I will take a look this weekend.

Great advice again. Thank you all folks. I appreciate that. By the way, I read that 98 doesn't have drain ****. I will take a look this weekend.

Maybe not... I would have assumed they all did... My 00 v8 does... Anyway no one else mentioned this but you might want to replace thermostat as well while your doing this.. Kinda a cheap insurance thing and if you have to replace that in the near future you will need to drain some of the coolant to get to it..

98 Does have a petcock its on the passenger side bottom of the radiator

Any debris will generally plug the small draincock opening. Pull off the lower hose, much more efficient. Plus, it's an easy way to determine overall hose condition, so if the lower hose crunches and cracks during removal, replace them all while the system is empty.

Bill

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Another question, how to 'burp' the system after coolant is replaced? I saw people run engine with the radiator cap off. But then the coolant will flow over.

Another question, how to 'burp' the system after coolant is replaced? I saw people run engine with the radiator cap off. But then the coolant will flow over.

I run the front end up on ramps, add the antifreeze, then a bit of water to the filler neck. As the water is going down I shake the vehicle sideways so the water sloshes in the radiator. These are cross flow radiators. Start the engine and let warmup without the radiator cap. Before it gets all the way to operating temp, I shut it down and refill the radiator, shaking the vehicle. Install cap. Drive, let warm up, up on the ramps again. Let cool a bit and remove the cap. Fill if needed. Be sure reservoir is up to at least the cold mark. You should be good. This is the way I do it. There are probably as many techniques as there are drivers. What ever works. Just be sure the front end is pointed up hill when filling. A sloped driveway is as good as ramps. Be sure to watch the temp gage so it doesn't over heat, and the fluid level in the reservoir corresponds to the temp. Cold/low warm/high

I did coolant drain and fill yesterday. V5 engine has 12.8qt capacity in coolant. Everytime I drain, it comes out about 6 to 7 qt. I then put still water and run the engine until it reaches operating temp with heater on. I performed three times with still water.

AT last, I put in one gallon concentrate and one gallon 50/50 mix for both the radiator and reservoir. After driving about 20 miles, I checked the strength of the clloant and it seems to me that it didn't reach the ideal strength. Last night I added another 1 qt concentrate and will see how it goes later today.

Thank you everyone for the advice.

Back