• Register Today It's free!

bass blockers

liquidx9

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX (home) Ripon, WI (school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
5.0 AWD 97 Limited
the crossovers on my audiobahn components arent doing the greatest job of filtering out the bass frequencies. ive looked around and it seems that bass blockers look like a good idea. where would i buy these? where would i install them? or am i on the totally wrong page here, thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

doesn't that head unit or the amp have any crossover functions built in? or are you already using those to the fullest?

my 6003s seem to do just fine, but i run them with an electronic crossover so its hard to get a feel for them without that. You should probably have a crossover set at 90 hz or so at the low end (just 'cause thats where i've found that running mine is best and my biggest speaker is the same as yours).

you need something external because the internal crossover for your speakes only filters between the 6.5 and the tweeter it doesn't do the low end crossover for the 6.5. an electronic crossover can amplify your signal to the 5-12 volt range real easilsy as well as solve this problem (and for little $$$), if your amp/hu won't do the trick as much as you'd like i recommend purchasing one. particularly if you plan on building the system more in the future.

i have an mtx model and i'll post in a minute which model it is and a price range.

btw- you don't have any subs for now? its tough to get proper sound quality without them. if you set the crossove frequency where it should be with the 6.5 it won't sound real great because the low end will be missing. you'll actually feel like you have less bass in the truck that with crappier speakers (sort of).

Repeating what has already been said somewhat...
The audiobahn crossovers dont block out the bass fequencies on the components. Just do what expo said..

Anyways, if your amp does not have a high-pass filter.... which it should, you have a few options...

-external crossover, which would send certain frequencies to a set of RCA outputs... most expensive...

-Bass blockers... Although I have heard both ways: dont use them/ use them, I had them on my first system in the explorer, highpass blocking 80hz and up, they worked perfectly fine for me, on my old Rockford coaxials, (wouldn't reccommend them BTW), but the bass blockers work fine. My audiobahn components (525Q) are not very good low either, I usually have a highpass x-over set around 50-80hz, or if I had a speaker to run midbass, 120hz...

there are more options, some HU's as expo mentioned have internal x-overs, like my g/f's alpine, that thing rocks....

isn't this a nice audio thread response! we're actually being helpful.

yeah, i run mine down to 90 hz, but i guess i should also keep in mind that i run an 8 for my midrange and 15s for low range. you may want ot run them down to 80 or lower- although i don't think less than 80 is a good idea.

i've used bass blockers on some crappy coaxials too with good results, but i wouldn't suggest them in this case. i think your best option is an external x-over, but it really does depend on whether or not your planning on adding more components (if your not don't waste your money on one- just try to get away with the bass blockers)

sorry to bust in on this thread.. but how do you like ur 3 way audiobahns drew? i have the 6002, and there doesnt seem to be any midrange for me. maybe the shop i got it done didnt wire everythign right, but i have the highs and the lows from the subs. but nothing inbetween. my friends love my system, but some notice the lack of mids. anything i can do without adding a xover to fix this? ive tried playing with my amps a lil, but to no success.

i honestly love them. and in my opinion they pound! there is a ton of nice, tight bass up front compared to virtually every other system i've heard.

keep in mind that my 6.5s are in very deadened and virtually sealed door "enclosures", and my 4" are in sealed enclosures in very stiff fiberglass kickpanels. also i give the set about 190 watts rms per side so thats probably a ton more power than your getting to yours. all that said, they sound great when turned down too, i've never heard anything in the same price range that is even close to my set.

doh- i didn't answer the question

deaden your doors, and fill all the large openings with thin mdf and make sure the speaker is sealed to the opening in the door, then give em clean power and thats gonna be about all you can do.

thanks.. it'll have to wait till spring time.. itz already in the 40s here.. and with no garage access.. its kinda hard to take apart my doors. and another question, where did you place the crossovers audiobahn supplied? i have the passenger side one under the center console pocket, and the drivers side one zip tied to the underside of the lower dash. i wonder if theres enough room behind the stock kickpanels. and im running 75 rms to each side. i feel like theres distortionwhen i turn the gain up all the way though.

mine won't distort, by the time it gets to the point that it might its so loud your ears don't really hear anymore.

my crossovers are here-

Attachments

• 1crossover.jpg
    1crossover.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 180

that was a lot of work- i don't think they'll fit behind the kickpanels. where you have them should be ok- a shop installed them that way though? it would be better to put them back right next to your amp actually where they won't get kicked around or heated or something i would think.

Attachments

• 1crossvoer2.jpg
    1crossvoer2.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 185

i think they put the crossovers in those positions for the fact that it was less work for them. the wires go from the HU, to the crossovers, to the speakers, so i guess they didnt want to wire it all the way back to the amps.

that make sense- and if they kept it short they could use the wires that came with your speakers. if you could post pics of where they were located it might help too.

i have one major gripe about these speakers though- the set screw set-up on the crossovers sucks big time its hard to get a solid connection and they don't hold real well even after you get one

ill try to get some pics within the next couple days. been raining and pretty cold. i agree with the connection of the xovers.. i kept ripping the wiring when moving around the xover.

ive got subs/amp/cap, just havent hooked 'em up yet. where would you recommend me picking that crossover up at?

Back