bats 88 Bronco II Build Up | Page 17 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

bats 88 Bronco II Build Up

bats

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 Bronco II
Nope, harness is all Explorer so it's using the black w/orange. It's been charging as it should now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

410Fortune

Truck Season!!
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
oh good! The silly 1986-90 BII wiring stuff had to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is funny to watch over the years copper must be expensive for car manufactures because they did everything they could to shorten all the wires. Ever notice the power dist box used to be by the pass headlight in the 80's (even though the wire pass through for the dash is under the brake booster)? Over the years the power dist box moved a few times...closer and closer to the dash pass through..... lol
Copper must have been cheap when they made the BII because the stupid wires routed all over the place! Even the power windows and locks harness goes around the radiator support!!

bats

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 Bronco II
No updates in a year. And what a year it's been! Drove the ******* almost exclusively this time last year due to traffic vanishing for a while (because of the thing. You know.) Only about a thousand miles but they've been mostly trouble free.

Don't remember what the last major thing I did after the engine swap was. Got the wiring/charging figured out. Starts every single time and wants to run!

If you remember, I have the electric t-case still after I cracked the case rebuilding my manual one. Someday I might hunt down a replacement one but today is not that day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either. The 4WD ECU got wet due to the fist sized rust hole in the floor. Probably was partially submerged in saltwater too if I remember correctly... Sometimes shifted into 4Hi, nothing but a burning smell when trying 4Lo.

Had plans to ghetto rig the shift motor with a motorcycle battery from the cab but ended up using the battery in a minibike project that almost put me into a wall.

Anyways, I was using the gear from the shift motor to manually turn the case. Worked great in theory. I was driving home in a snow storm last year and 2WD was getting sketchy with the locker. Pulled over and switched it to 4Hi. Continue for a half mile, hit a bump and oops all neutrals! Had enough momentum to make it to the shoulder and switch back to 2WD. Long story short, need something to hold the t-case in 4Hi and 4Lo.

Planned out this bracket a while back but finally got around to making it. Basically it's a retainer plate that holds the shifter in place with a hole to lock it into 4Hi and 4Lo. Even lower tech version of the Shifster. Really happy with how it came out.

full

Used a step bit on some 1/4" nuts to make spacers. Reused the shift motor bolts. Yes, that is an allen wrench welded on to the gear. Yes I am proud of myself.

bats

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 Bronco II
The little ******* is still kicking! Towed its rusty ass to Carlisle All Ford Nationals last year. Drove to the show field and sat in traffic with no issues. In retrospect it might have won something if I parked with the other Broncos and not with the EF crew. I'm over AFN.

In the past year it's really only been used for a weekend grocery getter. Haven't been offroading in some time and got sucked into other hobbies that demand my time and sanity.

We had a pretty wicked snowstorm here in the northeast. Battery doesn't like cold weather but once I jumped it the truck crawled it's way out of the snow bank like it was nothing. Had some fun romping it around the property and doing donuts. Goddang does that it still make me grin!

On to the not so happiness. It's been on my ToDo list to really go through the front hub conversion that I did. Sometime ago I swapped D44 spindles, hubs and fullsize brakes onto a D35 knuckle. Used D35 knuckle/balljoints/inner axle shaft. Used outter shafts from a Chevy or something to compensate for the length. MappyJack's thread has the details somewhere.

Pulled it apart and it was a sloppy mess inside....just like the last time. I can't seem to get the assembly to seal nicely. The passenger side still had water in the hub. The seal on the back of the spindle looks okay and I drill and tapped the ends of the axle shafts for bolts to pull it against the spindle. Those were still greased. Looks like the hubs are the point of failure. It's a PITA removing the D44 hubs.

I cleaned up, had a beer or three and decided to scrap it all and go back to the stock D35 hubs. It was a fun project making it work but I don't have the time to fine tune it.

Fix4Dirt

Get a Load O' This Guy!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4x4
The little ******* is still kicking! Towed its rusty ass to Carlisle All Ford Nationals last year. Drove to the show field and sat in traffic with no issues. In retrospect it might have won something if I parked with the other Broncos and not with the EF crew. I'm over AFN.

In the past year it's really only been used for a weekend grocery getter. Haven't been offroading in some time and got sucked into other hobbies that demand my time and sanity.

We had a pretty wicked snowstorm here in the northeast. Battery doesn't like cold weather but once I jumped it the truck crawled it's way out of the snow bank like it was nothing. Had some fun romping it around the property and doing donuts. Goddang does that it still make me grin!

On to the not so happiness. It's been on my ToDo list to really go through the front hub conversion that I did. Sometime ago I swapped D44 spindles, hubs and fullsize brakes onto a D35 knuckle. Used D35 knuckle/balljoints/inner axle shaft. Used outter shafts from a Chevy or something to compensate for the length. MappyJack's thread has the details somewhere.

Pulled it apart and it was a sloppy mess inside....just like the last time. I can't seem to get the assembly to seal nicely. The passenger side still had water in the hub. The seal on the back of the spindle looks okay and I drill and tapped the ends of the axle shafts for bolts to pull it against the spindle. Those were still greased. Looks like the hubs are the point of failure. It's a PITA removing the D44 hubs.

I cleaned up, had a beer or three and decided to scrap it all and go back to the stock D35 hubs. It was a fun project making it work but I don't have the time to fine tune it.
yeah!!!!!!!!!!! ef crew >bronc crew ;) jmo, may be biased!!! git er done!

vroomzoomboom

Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
selkirk, manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 supercharged 347 sport
seems like non of you guys goes to afn anymore. must be because everyones favorite canuk stopped going :afro:
also glad to see the ******* is still fighting you back. was worried i would click on this and would read you either sold it, or gave up and scrapped it!!

410Fortune

Truck Season!!
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
cant hold a good bronco down, I know mine never gives up

bats

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 Bronco II
End of year update and some reflections or something. Other projects and life kept me busy this year and the opportunities to do any kind of wheelin' are few and far between these days. Spent the afternoon going over my handiwork on replacing the hubs. Ordered a bunch of the nickel and dime stuff to finish it. Then need to get all the 31's on the same bolt pattern rim and then it should at least be drivable.

The rust will need addressing soon. Bottoms of the doors are bubbling and the rear quarters are pretty crumbly. Frame is good other than that spot by the shock mount. A good wire brush and rust sealer should be all it needs. Most of the body mounts are still solid. Rear outer axle seals are leaking.

I had big dreams for the Bast ard that never happened but I'm not ready to let go of the truck just yet. It's been with me for over a decade at this point. I'll be happy just to be able to use it as a reliable daily driver that can still hit the occasional mud pit.

Looking back on it all, there's a lot I wish I did differently. The 4.0 was a nice jump from the stock 2.9 but I really should have gone V8 or even a blown 3.8 for ***** and giggles. Should have went with a built A4LD (feels like forever since I said that name) instead of going manual. That's the biggest disappointment in this build. Younger me drank the 5-Speed Kool-Aid hard.