Battery and Starter tested and good according to Autozone but no start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery and Starter tested and good according to Autozone but no start

Betsy98Sport

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Ford Explorer Eddie B
So the Explorer was starting good and then one morning the Sport just wouldn't start. When the trying to start, all I get is one click. Not sure if it's the solenoid engaging or the gear shooting out. The voltage is good on the battery and I've had it tested and charged twice at Autozone. I removed the starter as well and had that tested. It worked great at Autozone as well.

Today I measured voltage across the starter to the battery on a few spots:

1. Battery (-) to yellow ignition wire (S) - only 10.5 V when key is turned to start
2. Battery (-) to positive starter wire (B) - ~12 V +/-0.10
3. Starter Ground wire to battery positive - 12.14 V
4. Battery (-) to "solenoid to motor terminal" (M) with ignition wire (S) jumped from Battery (+) terminal - ~12 +/-0.10 V
5. Starter ground strap (attached to bottom starter mount bolt) to (M) terminal with key turned on - 11.98 V

Pic for reference
3274-B.jpg

All the wiring looks like its checking out good unless the voltage going through the yellow ignition is not good. When trying to start the car I noticed the solenoid gets really hot. Possible sign that the voltage is not going to the starter.

I still think its the starter. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My guess would be a bad positive wire going to the starter. Do you see any green in it?

My guess would be a bad positive wire going to the starter. Do you see any green in it?

I haven't unraveled the tape covering the wires. I can about 12 inches from the battery and everything is wrapped in tape. There's no corrosion, never has been, but then I can't see the whole length of the wire

When you took it off how did the wires look on the starter end? Where are you hearing the click from? I don't know if the solonoid is built into that one or seperate.

If you do a search here on starter solonoid you'll get a lot of info.

When you took it off how did the wires look on the starter end? Where are you hearing the click from? I don't know if the solonoid is built into that one or seperate.

If you do a search here on starter solonoid you'll get a lot of info.

I been doing lots of searching for weeks now. Still no answer.

But the click is coming from the solenoid engaging the override clutch but the motor is not turning. There is power going to the starter so I'm not sure why its not turning

If the solonoid is just clicking is it bad?

So, just so I'm clear here, does the solenoid engage, AND does the motor turn, if you simply jump it, or use a starter button? That is he first thing to try your self. if the starter is good, then check connections, and everything that is included in the circuit. Also, does you truck have a PATS key, or is a security light blinking, that could be your problem right there.

Also, you did a great job on diagnosing the problem.

Try Battery Terminal to the Starter Motor Case, or the starter ground.

So, just so I'm clear here, does the solenoid engage, AND does the motor turn, if you simply jump it, or use a starter button? That is he first thing to try your self. if the starter is good, then check connections, and everything that is included in the circuit. Also, does you truck have a PATS key, or is a security light blinking, that could be your problem right there.

Also, you did a great job on diagnosing the problem.

Try Battery Terminal to the Starter Motor Case, or the starter ground.

1. Yes the solenoid engages. I can hear the override clutch engage so that would mean the solenoid is engaging.

2. The motor does not turn on the car, but when I took it to Autozone it did turn and engage the clutch and so passed their test.

3. Yes it does have the PATS key. When and how does it blink if there's an issue because even when it started before it would blink while parked and off?

Is 10.5 V low for the amount of voltage to the ignition wire?

Get someone to boost your vehicle and see if things change, odds are great that you have a battery issue followed closely by a cable problem. The "boost test" will help narrow things.

1. Yes the solenoid engages. I can hear the override clutch engage so that would mean the solenoid is engaging.

2. The motor does not turn on the car, but when I took it to Autozone it did turn and engage the clutch and so passed their test.

3. Yes it does have the PATS key. When and how does it blink if there's an issue because even when it started before it would blink while parked and off?

Is 10.5 V low for the amount of voltage to the ignition wire?

You should get much closer to battery voltage, than that. You are dropping 1.5 Volts, that A LOT. sounds like you have a connection issue somewhere. and that it is on the ground side. Check for any corrosion, either on the ground strap for the starter, if it has one, or where it connects to the engine. clean all the surfaces well, reconnect, and try again. The solenoid is getting hot, because you are sort of burning it up, with it being on so long.

My best guess is the starter is binding because of dry bushings. Most starters can be rebuilt with new brushes, a good cleaning, and lube the bushings unless they are completely worn out. Your solenoid is getting hot because the starter is not turning.

You should get much closer to battery voltage, than that. You are dropping 1.5 Volts, that A LOT. sounds like you have a connection issue somewhere. and that it is on the ground side. Check for any corrosion, either on the ground strap for the starter, if it has one, or where it connects to the engine. clean all the surfaces well, reconnect, and try again. The solenoid is getting hot, because you are sort of burning it up, with it being on so long.

Now that you mention ground to the engine. That makes me think. Is the ground on the driver side neat the dipstick tube because I noticed a bracket holding that holds the battery cable is loose but didn't think anything of it? There's also some oil on the bottom of the starter (not sure where from). Wonder if thats causing a problem

Get someone to boost your vehicle and see if things change, odds are great that you have a battery issue followed closely by a cable problem. The "boost test" will help narrow things.

When you say boost test, I assume you mean jump it. I've tried jumping many times and had the battery tested twice and was told it was good

BUT... you didn't tell us that before AND you didn't indicate the outcome... did the "jump" allow the vehicle / starter to function?????

Um, everybody is pointing to the starter or electrical.
Does the engine rotate or did it seize? SOHC timing chain issue??

Just throwing that out there.

Um, everybody is pointing to the starter or electrical.
Does the engine rotate or did it seize? SOHC timing chain issue??

Just throwing that out there.

I believe he said that "one day it didn't start" If it was a timing chain issue would it not just stop running while he is driving?

I have had starters that would test good on a bench free spinning, but would not engage under the load of the engine.

No. It did not start after jumping it. Samething happened. No change at all.

And its a 4.0 EFI not SOHC so not a timing chain.

I wonder if the starter is not engaging while under load like pitbulldell said.

How could I tell if its seized?

Put a wrench on the crank bolt and try turning it, I bet its hydrolocked................

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back