battery change on intelligent key fob | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

battery change on intelligent key fob

cbx1047

Reaction score
City, State
waikesha, wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 limited
My key fob was not starting my 2011 if I left it in car overnite. The temp was below zero and thought after 3 years the battery might be week. I pulled spare key out of remote and pride open lid. There are 3 parts to remote and sealed by 2 very thing gaskets ( which tore apart upon opening) between them. I did replace the battery and put it back together however I don't think it went together very easy and I am a little concerned about the torn gaskets in the future getting dirt into the remote. Anybody have any comments on this and what they have done.

My key fob was not starting my 2011 if I left it in car overnite. The temp was below zero and thought after 3 years the battery might be week. I pulled spare key out of remote and pride open lid. There are 3 parts to remote and sealed by 2 very thing gaskets ( which tore apart upon opening) between them. I did replace the battery and put it back together however I don't think it went together very easy and I am a little concerned about the torn gaskets in the future getting dirt into the remote. Anybody have any comments on this and what they have done.
I would have thought that the two pieces would go together easier without the gasket. When I took mine apart the gasket stuck to both pieces but I carefully dislodged it from one half. The gasket may be more to keep water out. I think you should be okay as long as you didn't clean off all the grease when changing the battery.
Just curious. When you leave the IA fob in the vehicle, do you lock it in or leave the vehicle unlocked. Seem like a risky thing if it is left open.

Peter

I store it in my garage that is locked, and with all the cold weather sometimes its well below zero. I also noticed that I was loosing range on the remote start. I plan on checking the voltage on the old battery, It is suppose to be 3.0 volts. at room temperature.

I store it in my garage that is locked, and with all the cold weather sometimes its well below zero. I also noticed that I was loosing range on the remote start. I plan on checking the voltage on the old battery, It is suppose to be 3.0 volts. at room temperature.
Cold weather will negatively (no pun intended) affect most batteries as you no doubt are aware. A battery that is approaching 'end of life' may continue to work fine if kept in a warm environment but not if kept in a cold one. Getting a new battery is one of the least expensive items you can get to do trouble shooting. You'll have to replace it sooner or later anyway. Good luck.

Peter

Back