• Register Today It's free!

Battery Charging issues.

Sentry6

Reaction score
City, State
Norton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 3.5 Limited
Hi, i have looked around and have an unusual battery issues. my ex hasnt been starting, clicks and lights are all dim battery is definatly drained. takes a jump perfectly and runs fine, drive for an hour shut it off and boom wont restart dead battery. no indicator, when i check voltage at battery i get 11.9 while running... im assuming the alternator works because it jumps fine, is it possible its not supply voltage back to the battery? brand new battery. fusible link?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am having the SAME exact problem here.. was about to post a thread to.

After talking to friends and another friend who has an 02 Explorer.. He's telling me its the altenator, since its not charging the battery as we go, i believe him, and agree.

its only like 5 bolts, and the thing costs about $15 at RockAuto. So im just replacing it, while im there might as well do belts. ya know.

Hopefully you fix.

your running off the alternator and that is why your able to drive around. I would say the battery is sooo bad its not holding a charge. Probally bad cell in battery. take it to nearest pepboys or auto place to check battery and replace if needed.

Hi, i have looked around and have an unusual battery issues. my ex hasnt been starting, clicks and lights are all dim battery is definatly drained. takes a jump perfectly and runs fine, drive for an hour shut it off and boom wont restart dead battery. no indicator, when i check voltage at battery i get 11.9 while running... im assuming the alternator works because it jumps fine, is it possible its not supply voltage back to the battery? brand new battery. fusible link?

Thanks

You should be seeing about 14v at the battery with the engine running. This means that the alternator is putting out 14 volts. The fact you are seeing 12v while the engine is running points to the alternator.

I just replaced the alternator on my 2002 4.6L v8; have over 14 vdc when running (measured across battery terminals); over 12 when engine off.

The fact that it jump-starts doesn't tell you anything about the alternator.

Since it's a brand-new battery; take it back where you got it and have them test it; if a cell's bad, you get a new battery....

Replacing the alternator is fairly easy, hardest part is getting the serpentine belt off; there are many posts here about how to remove the serp belt. Get your battery tested (for free) before shelling out the $$$ for an alternator. And that $15 must be a typo, mine ran ~$140. There are 95-amp, 115-amp, and 130-amp models available; I seem to remember that mine was identiifed by the "black cover" on the back of the alternator. I tow a travel trailer and went for the 130-amp (which was what the original was).
Hope this helps.

Thanks all for the replies, the battery is brand new (interstate) and was replaced because the old battery was going dead same issue... i did some tests, directly at the altenator running im getting 11.8volts, and battery is completely dead, also on the lg/rd wire that goes to the pcm im getting 6volts the book says it should be 8-9 to activate regulator?? im a bit confused to because the charge indicator isnt on.. im starting to wonder if the pcm is at fault. i think best bet is to pull out the altenator and have it tested maybe?

do me a favor just to be a test, start the truck and completely disconnect the battery then tell us the voltage

I will tomorrow its raining now :(... but both old and new battery are doing the same thing...

I will tomorrow its raining now :(... but both old and new battery are doing the same thing...

Yea i know, i once ran into an issue where it wasnt charging when the battery was connected. Turned out Pos battery cable was grounding out by the starter. Funny thing is only had a low charge when the battery was connected. Def sounds like a fishy regulator prob but better safe than sorry

Well thanks all for the help, desided to stop over thinking it... the old saying KISS = keep it simple stupid.... its either charging or not, and its not... bought a salvage yard altenator for 30.00 and boom 10mins to change, 14.1 volts...

Thanks Again.

Back