Battery drained - no parasitic current draw | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery drained - no parasitic current draw

Bazz270

Reaction score
City, State
Haifa,Israel
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer 2007 XLT
Hi all

Is it any possibilty for the alternator charging normal voltage but low amperage without check charging system light on?

Ive got totally drained 1year old battery.charged to maximum and still no charge.will drain after one single engine starter crank

Checked parasitic current drain - 0.02mA (by specs)

Alternator is 2 year old chinese noname - charging 13.7-14 volts but i can get the current meter to check em on the car .

What do you say about this issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all

Is it any possibilty for the alternator charging normal voltage but low amperage without check charging system light on?

Ive got totally drained 1year old battery.charged to maximum and still no charge.will drain after one single engine starter crank

Checked parasitic current drain - 0.02mA (by specs)

Alternator is 2 year old chinese noname - charging 13.7-14 volts but i can get the current meter to check em on the car .

What do you say about this issue?
An alternator itself can draw current from the battery when everything is shut off, due to faulty diode(s), even though they still allow current to flow to the system with engine running. Rare situation, though. I would substitute another known good alternator and see what happens.

Ive ordered new (not the reman) alternator.right now the replacement battery looks like well charged and no voltage losses detected.

Ive no idea about the real alternator current draw since the local shop battery tester is good for voltage check only.maybe it happens only with the engine on.

Anyways
With the engine off and alternator pigtail disconnected no current draw detected.but with this chinese crap you could never know..

Acc. to factory workshop manual,the only possibility,without equipment current draw detected,could be the alternator only.

Update

Ive replaced the battery
Still no current leaks out off the specs and good charging (100% charged battery after 40 minutes drive).

I too had been fighting the dead battery problem for several years, replacing battery savor relay, alternator and battery did not fix it. It had been driving me crazy and I also noticed a door ajar alarm but no light and then after a few years even the door ajar light would come on intermittently. Now searching for which door ajar switch was intermittently acting up, I thought it was in the rear lift gate, but that turned out not to be the case. I finally traced it to the passenger door and it was very intermittent but I believe it is what was causing my battery drain problem.

I ripped that door apart, removed the door ajar switch connector and Jumper'd it out. That stopped my almost daily dead battery problem. I has only gone dead now twice in the last two months. I am still getting the door ajar alarm once in a blue moon and am now convinced it is caused by a broken wire in the passenger door wiring harness as by flexing that wire bundle, the problem goes away for many days. So my next move will be to take that harness apart and fix any breaks.

Just mentioning this here as to perhaps throw some light on the many parasitic drain problems I have read about and troubleshot. Good luck but I would check all door ajar switches and door harnesses to resolve a parasitic drain problem. Like I said, been troubleshooting this for years so wanted to pass it along in case others might have the same issue.

The battery dimensions was too high for the vehicle.

Actually the hood impact damaged the battery negative terminal .ive replaced the last battery with the oem dimensions and fixed the problem permanently.

3 ruined batteries lol

No parasitic draw.just the battery cells damaged issue
IMG-20220520-WA0066.jpeg

The battery dimensions was too high for the vehicle.

Actually the hood impact damaged the battery negative terminal .ive replaced the last battery with the oem dimensions and fixed the problem permanently.

3 ruined batteries lol

No parasitic draw.just the battery cells damaged issueView attachment 429943
Well, that's gotta' suck.

Back