Battery gauge sticks

1993Saturn

Reaction score
City, State
Redmond, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 4x4
93, 99 Bauer 4x4
My battery gauge has decided to be a problem. When starting, the needle goes backwards and sticks at about the 10 o'clock position. I bop the dash pad and it swings down to where it is supposed to be. Works ok, because when I turn on the defroster or lights, the needle moves.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is a problem I have experienced on a couple of my explorers. I usually just deal with it until I have to take the dash apart for unrelated reasons.

My fix is to take some fine grit sandpaper and lightly sand the small spot that it sticks at. My needles have never stuck since then.

Interesting solution. However, I don't think I have that type or problem. Hopefully this will make sense this time: My guage needle doesn't stick in it's normal operating zone. It goes backwards when you start the engine and gets stuck there, to the negative of rest. A slap on the dash sends it immediately to where it is supposed to be inside of the operating zone. Is there a solution for that?

That is what mine would do. They go backwards and get stuck on the bezel to the left of the gauge. The spot on the bezel is the spot where I sand it.

That makes sense. Why does the needle go backwards in the first place? Isn't it not supposed to do that?

OK,cloaked_chaos has a gauge needle that goes the wrong direction too. They aren't built to go backwards.
So, what's wrong?
How do you fix it?

Think of it this way. The battery gauge is set to always read 0 volts, but when voltage is applied, it is FORCED to read as that particular voltage. When you turn the ignition off you now have zero volts going to the gauge, but the needle (for a fraction of a second) is still in the same spot showing voltage. Since it is not a digital readout and the needle has physical mass, it cant instantly go back to zero. The needle then moves as quickly as possible back to zero, but remember that physical mass we just talked about? The weight of the needle forces it to go past zero, just like you would find if you bent a spring one way and let it go.

A new gauge has a dampening effect built in to avoid quick spikes from showing up on the gauge and to keep it from moving quickly (look at how slowly your gas gauge moves). As the gauge gets older, the dampening effect wears out, allowing the needle to move quicker. After many years of off and on cycles of the ignition (i.e. the battery gauge needle moving), it wears out the dampening effect enough to the point that when the gauge tries to move back to zero, it goes past zero far enough to the point that it hits the bezel to the left of it. After many times of the needle hitting the bezel, it wears a small spot on it which eventually causes enough friction to allow it to stick. Since it is not a lot of friction and the battery gauge wants to return to zero, a quick tap on the dash usually frees it up.

The band-aid fix for the problem is to sand smooth the small spot on the bezel that the needle has worn into.

The permanent fix for the problem is to replace the battery gauge with a new one.

Any questions?

thank you chaos, very interesting.

Back