Battery hookup questions

MattHarrell

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fort Valley, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
Anyone have any recommendations for battery terminal hookups? In addition to the normal battery cables for the truck I also have 4 gauge going into the cabin for my amp and then I'm contemplating hooking up up an air compressor in the engine bay that takes an 8 gauge wire. I've looked into Monster and other battery terminals since they seem to make them but couldn't find one that would handle two 4's (I think the normal wiring is a 4) and then another 8 for the engine bay.

Any recommendations? I do currently have them all strung off the terminals but they don't look totally stable and clean.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used these ones:

Dead Link Removed

And they have been very good. I was able to use them to run a 1/0 gauge power cable to my amps, a 1/0 gauge ground, a 1/0 gauge alternator wire, and converted all of the small accessory wires on the stock terminals to 8 gauge. Basically replaced all of the underhood wires from the terminals. My old cables were about 9 years old, and after the switch I gained another .3-.4 volts.

Hmm, those don't look too bad and they're not at a bad price either.

If I get a chance one day I might try to run a higher gauge main power line. Mine seems to do pretty good right now but then I replaced it about three years ago

Is the stock wire 4 gauge, it looked like 4 gauge but it wouldn't surpise me if ford would used some weird gauge?

I was just guessing there. We're under a big snowstorm here and I really didn't feel like going out there to dig out my truck and check it out. I seem to remember it being similiar in size to my 4 guage that I ran but without checking it out I can't be positive.

If nobody else answers by tomorrow then I'll go run a tape measure around them and compare

The stock wire from alternator to batt was ~6 guage, smaller than 4, I believe. Replaced mine with lightning audio 4 guage, shoulda just put 0 guage there.

Does anyone have recommendations for smaller wire size connections to the positive side of the battery? I am considering making a terminal block that is connected to the positive battery cable clamp bolt, and making all of my other 12v positive connections to that. I have yet to find a commercial device to do this.

Thoughts and opinions sought…….

Originally posted by aldive
Does anyone have recommendations for smaller wire size connections to the positive side of the battery? I am considering making a terminal block that is connected to the positive battery cable clamp bolt, and making all of my other 12v positive connections to that. I have yet to find a commercial device to do this.

Thoughts and opinions sought…….

AL:, are you talking about a distribution block ?

a larger maybe # 4 awg in put,but gives you multiple smaller awg {example #8 awg outputs}

here a few examples...
http://www.sounddomain.com/search.pl?words=distribution+blocks&x=11&y=5

Back