Battery is better in Limited than Sport? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery is better in Limited than Sport?

CobraJohn

Reaction score
City, State
Magnolia, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
I was reading in the 2014 order guide that the batter in the Limited is 72AH
and the Sport is 58AH.

Why the difference? To heat a steering wheel?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am not %100 but the extra power options on the limited is the only reason I cab see.
Power rear seats, power steering collum/power pedals, ambient lighting ect. Always looking for the key to be in proximity.

Power rear seats, power steering collum/power pedals, ambient lighting ect. Always looking for the key to be in proximity.

Of those listed, only the rear seats would affect it as all the others are available on the Sport. Factory HID's could be another reason.

Of those listed, only the rear seats would affect it as all the others are available on the Sport. Factory HID's could be another reason.
I don't think the Sport has Active Park Assist but I don't know if that factors into the reasoning or not.
According to the 2011 brochure I have, the base and XLT also have the 58 Amp Hour battery.
As you say, it may be due to the HID lamps. I don't see any of the other items being a consideration when the engine is running.

Peter

I say the biggest electrical difference needed are the HID's and the power folding rear seat.

the Sport has ambient lighting and also is available on the XLT

So if you put in aftermarket HID's in the Sport, should you upgrade your battery?

I wonder if the alternator is different on the Sport vs. Limited?

So if you put in aftermarket HID's in the Sport, should you upgrade your battery?

I wonder if the alternator is different on the Sport vs. Limited?

Alternator's from XLT, Limited, and Sport are all equipped with the 200 amp alternators.

The base has a 175 amp.

HIDs shouldn't be affecting why you have a high amp - hour battery. You're going to have the car on when the HIDs fire up and is operating. Plus, HIDs usually come in 30W not 50W which our stock halogens run at so HIDs will consume less power.

The Limited is known to be the higher tech version, the more electronically equipped version. I can only assume the use of the power third row would be the likely culprit that the battery needs to store more energy versus the rest of the models, that's the only thing you would really be messing with while your car is off that consumes a lot of power. If you have any other version besides the Limited. You will not need a higher amp hour battery. It's just numbers basically.

Back