Battery Not Charging did readings and altenator is seems OK | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery Not Charging did readings and altenator is seems OK

lindykid

Reaction score
City, State
San Rafael
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT (Maybe)
Specs: Explorer 07, SOHC V6 4door with 4x4 option

Hey All,

Yesterday my battery (interstate battery) started to die while I was driving, then proceeded to kick the bucket shortly after. The electronics started getting funny (the abs light came on, windshield wippers ran slow, speed reading went up and down at 60mph...etc) while driving.

I made it to my buddies shop and he did some readings on the alternator and it read 12+ volts. The only place near by was napa and had to get one of their napa legend batteries (not to happy about that one but I had no other choice),

Since we put in the new battery, it will not charge and the battery light comes on when the RPM are at or below 1000. Anything above that, the battery light turns off. The battery level pointed to the middle when I first put in, but now is towards the L and will not go up. It did jump up once but has not sense.

Lastly, after we jumped the car and I tried to drive away with the old battery to go to a place with better battery options. The car died.

If anybody has any ideas that would be great and thank you.

Stephan

I am willing to bet that contrary to what you believe, your alternator is dead.
It should test @ 13.6 or so, not 12.
IF the battery was the original cause, the alternator was taxed to run the enitire electrical system, engine and the extraordinary drain put on it by a failed battery. The old type that had a voltage regulator seperate from the alternator MIGHT have survived this attack, but the combined type we all have now are not as durable. I have had an alternator die on me just because I bought a new battery and it was not 100% charged. I was told that the style alternator we have now is not able to provide enough "juice" to run the truck and fully charge a battery without frying the diodes.Take the alternator off the truck, have it tested again, and while doing so, put your battery on a charger. I suspect you will be going home with a new alternator to install.

With the vehicle running and a tester only showing 12 volts at the terminals tells you the alt is weak.

And I like napa batteries

Your Alty. died, wasn't your battery.

Back