• Register Today It's free!

Battery or Alternator

firefly263263

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
any advice would be greatly appreciated for a 2003 ...

Driving home last Friday when all the lights in the dash went off and then the gauges stop working.....barely made it over the bridge and the truck died..
Charged the battery overnight...then tested the voltage....was around 12.5v...
started the truck...and the voltage went down to 11v....I figure it is the alternator so I bring it to the mechanic....
Changes my alternator....charges the battery...and 350$ later...truck seems fine...
Now this morning...the Battery light is on.....and the truck just died again( my poor wife)
last night I had checked the battery and it was at 12.5v and with the truck on....it went down to 11v again...but with a new alternator.....im wondering if it could something else besides the battery and alternator or did I get a bad alternator.......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

any advice would be greatly appreciated for a 2003 ...

Driving home last Friday when all the lights in the dash went off and then the gauges stop working.....barely made it over the bridge and the truck died..
Charged the battery overnight...then tested the voltage....was around 12.5v...
started the truck...and the voltage went down to 11v....I figure it is the alternator so I bring it to the mechanic....
Changes my alternator....charges the battery...and 350$ later...truck seems fine...
Now this morning...the Battery light is on.....and the truck just died again( my poor wife)
last night I had checked the battery and it was at 12.5v and with the truck on....it went down to 11v again...but with a new alternator.....im wondering if it could something else besides the battery and alternator or did I get a bad alternator.......

Check the wiring harness that goes to the alternator. they go bad. The mechanic should be responsible for finding this for $350. The other thing is you could have gotten a bad alternator, especially if its a reman...

I would bring it back asap.

If your dummy light for the battery is on the charging system is not charging. Often when an alternator goes it archs and can result in a burnt plug or wire like previously stated.

Thanks for the swift replies.....much appreciated...

So I finally got the truck back to the mechanic....he replaced the alternator once again and this morning it seems fine.....Seemed it was a defective reman.....

Thanks again :D

Keep an eye on the battery too, he only charged it or replaced it? When you drain down that battery a couple of times it will never hold the charge like it use to. If it looks like the Alt is a good one, imo i'd put in a new battery too, something that will last a while.

is it a good idea to replace the alternator preemptively, at a certain mileage or age, or should you wait until it dies out?

I have 140k on my 98 and still run the original alternator. I replaced the battery last year (also original) just because I figured it was over due. There's never a good time to get stranded... and it would only take 1 tow bill to make the replacement alt pay for itself... what do you guys do?

Also seems like the 130amp ALT goes with the Keyless Entry option. I dont have factory keyless, so I assume I have the 95amp ALT. I have keyless aftermarket. ALTs are the same price, any harm in going to 130amp? Direct swap?

Back