Battery Recommendation? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery Recommendation?

Eltee

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
In a high desert city not far from ghost towns ...
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
4WD
I searched but found nothing recent or specific to my situation on this topic.

I bought a used 2013 XLT and I suspect it has the original battery. I travel a lot in the Nevada desert so battery failure is not an option. I know the vehicle has battery monitoring, etc.

I used to run an Optima on my Sport Trac. I also ran a Sears Diehard.

What's the recommended battery these days for maximum CCA, longevity, durability, etc.?

THANKS for any input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cactus:vulture.jpg

I don't like getting stuck in the desert either...

Costco has Interstate batteries, just put one in my other car. They need the old battery or you get charged extra.
My 2016's battery failed but it was replaced with another Motorcraft battery under warranty at the Dealer.

Exide (earlier producer of stock batteries for Ford ???)

Exide Excell EB788

I like my Yellow Top.

Batteries are a crap shoot. I have had top of the line ones go bad in 6 months and have had Walmart ones last 10+ years. It doesn't matter if they are expensive or cheap, but what does matter is how they are stored in the location that you purchase them. If they just set on a shelf and allowed to discharge you could be in trouble with them, but if they are maintained in the store then they should last you a while.

Also warranties don't mean a thing if you are 200 miles away from the store that you purchased them from if it is a chain store like Autozone, NAPA, Walmart or any of the others. You are then at the mercy of any store that has batteries for sale if you want to get your vehicle started and on your way home.

Batteries are a crap shoot. I have had top of the line ones go bad in 6 months and have had Walmart ones last 10+ years. It doesn't matter if they are expensive or cheap, but what does matter is how they are stored in the location that you purchase them. If they just set on a shelf and allowed to discharge you could be in trouble with them, but if they are maintained in the store then they should last you a while.

Also warranties don't mean a thing if you are 200 miles away from the store that you purchased them from if it is a chain store like Autozone, NAPA, Walmart or any of the others. You are then at the mercy of any store that has batteries for sale if you want to get your vehicle started and on your way home.
+1
My experience exactly.

Costco...best no hassle return policy.

Played tapps over the OEM Motorcraft battery today. Last two days in perfect temp/weather 77 degree weather. Ruby red choked a bit sputtered and spun the engine after sitting for 15 hours or so. I knew it's days were numbered. After checking around a bit it seems bang for the buck and convenience if replacement is needed. I usually bought the DieHard but with Sears stores on the brink of closing many locations I decided just go to Napa. Bought this on a 20% off sale.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBP8465

They have promo going. They sell a 5 gallon bucket for $1.00 and donate it. You place 3 items in the bucket you get 20% off everything you buy. I placed a small 12v dc solar charger in the bucket. $34.00 item i know i can use. Two wiper blades for my wifes car. She loves wiper blades and it repays her for the beer She had recently bought me. She wanted some car wax as well. She loves to wax the Explorer. I drink the beer and watch.

I plugged in the solar charger to the cig lighter hoping it would maintain the memory while I changed out the Battery.
It took me all of 5 minutes once I looked it over. Removed the strap. Negative post and that fancy Positive post. Snatched the OEM out with the Blanket?? (What is that for) Placed in the new battery and connected the cables.

All done I took off the solar panel turned the key to acc and checked radio is still programed just fine, Do not know if the solar panel made a difference but results are fine with me. Turned the key and it spun really fast and a bit longer then it seemed it should. Started up and I took it for a drive taking the Motorcraft to that battery recycle in the sky. Service date is about May 2012 and the Battery was probably a few months old by then so lets say Jan 1 2012. So It lasted 5 years and 6 months. It was never a strong battery for me as I had to jump it on the lot to start it in December 2015. It also needed a jump this past winter a couple times. Playing the Radio in the driveway as the wax was being applied also killed it this june so I knew it's days were numbered.

Results are good. Spins fast, starts quick. The radio sounds better. The lights are brighter and I swear I saw a little smile on the front grill as I went in the house today.

Played tapps over the OEM Motorcraft battery today. Last two days in perfect temp/weather 77 degree weather. Ruby red choked a bit sputtered and spun the engine after sitting for 15 hours or so. I knew it's days were numbered. After checking around a bit it seems bang for the buck and convenience if replacement is needed. I usually bought the DieHard but with Sears stores on the brink of closing many locations I decided just go to Napa. Bought this on a 20% off sale.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBP8465

They have promo going. They sell a 5 gallon bucket for $1.00 and donate it. You place 3 items in the bucket you get 20% off everything you buy. I placed a small 12v dc solar charger in the bucket. $34.00 item i know i can use. Two wiper blades for my wifes car. She loves wiper blades and it repays her for the beer She had recently bought me. She wanted some car wax as well. She loves to wax the Explorer. I drink the beer and watch.

I plugged in the solar charger to the cig lighter hoping it would maintain the memory while I changed out the Battery.
It took me all of 5 minutes once I looked it over. Removed the strap. Negative post and that fancy Positive post. Snatched the OEM out with the Blanket?? (What is that for) Placed in the new battery and connected the cables.

All done I took off the solar panel turned the key to acc and checked radio is still programed just fine, Do not know if the solar panel made a difference but results are fine with me. Turned the key and it spun really fast and a bit longer then it seemed it should. Started up and I took it for a drive taking the Motorcraft to that battery recycle in the sky. Service date is about May 2012 and the Battery was probably a few months old by then so lets say Jan 1 2012. So It lasted 5 years and 6 months. It was never a strong battery for me as I had to jump it on the lot to start it in December 2015. It also needed a jump this past winter a couple times. Playing the Radio in the driveway as the wax was being applied also killed it this june so I knew it's days were numbered.

Results are good. Spins fast, starts quick. The radio sounds better. The lights are brighter and I swear I saw a little smile on the front grill as I went in the house today.
Did you do a Battery Management System (BMS) reset?
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...upgrade-battery-re-learn.445823/#post-3538418

Peter

I ordered a 'red top' without checking online. The Optima is smaller in size, and won't hook up. I ordered the Optima cause that's what I run in my Vette, and just assumed they would fit the EX. Going online after the fact shows they have nothing for us. So what did you do to get it to hook up, got any pics of that install?

I like my Yellow Top.

I ordered a 'red top' without checking online. The Optima is smaller in size, and won't hook up. I ordered the Optima cause that's what I run in my Vette, and just assumed they would fit the EX. Going online after the fact shows they have nothing for us. So what did you do to get it to hook up, got any pics of that install?
Nothing special, fits right where the original was.

Post up a good pic.
My mechanic sent it back, it was the 34/78, same as my Vette.

Nothing special, fits right where the original was.

Quick question - does a Group 65 actually fit the battery tray? Our OEM Group 59 is ready for the recycler, That battery is a little over 10" long, while the Group 65 is a bit over 12". The front edge of the tray is open, but it looks like the airbox is awfully close for a 12" battery to fit. Can anyone confirm? It doesn't seem like others have had trouble. 3.5L N/A engine...

There are a lot more options in the Group 65, and the additional CCA are a good idea here in the Northeast.

i need to replace my battery pretty soon. what is the group size, amp and CCA? my present battery has 75ah 700CCA, i'm not concern about the CCA much bec of the hot weather here and the coolest temp is only 15C. i'm wondering if i can go up to let say 80-90 ah? is the heavy duty alternator ok for higher amps or stick with recommended amps?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Quick question - does a Group 65 actually fit the battery tray? Our OEM Group 59 is ready for the recycler, That battery is a little over 10" long, while the Group 65 is a bit over 12". The front edge of the tray is open, but it looks like the airbox is awfully close for a 12" battery to fit. Can anyone confirm? It doesn't seem like others have had trouble. 3.5L N/A engine...

There are a lot more options in the Group 65, and the additional CCA are a good idea here in the Northeast.
If you check your Owner's Manual you will see that one of the 2 batteries listed is the BXT-65-650. The note for that shows it is for vehicles with passive entry and passive start. I'm guessing therefore that the battery tray is designed to accommodate both. Here is what the BXT-65-650 looks like in my Platinum.

Peter

DSCN0011.JPG

Back