Battery, Starter, or Starter Solenoid? Bad Wires? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery, Starter, or Starter Solenoid? Bad Wires?

Cduncan133

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
Hey everyone, here again with another problem this time involving my starter. It started Friday when my girlfriend took the car for some grocery shopping. She apparently needed a jump, but after that it started up without no hesitation and ran just fine until early today.

Same thing happened to me today. It started up fine, no hesitation or struggle. Not even 15 minutes later, nothing. I may have heard a few clicks when I attempted to start it, but after that, nothing. There was a little corrosion on the ground battery cable, cleaned that up as best as I could with no tools or cleaner around. Still nothing. Attempted to get it jumped, nothing. All of the lights, signals and radio/cd player worked just fine. Battery is almost 3 years old and the alternator is 5 months old. Not sure what else it could be,, but I'm hoping it's something simple as a bad wire(s) or maybe the solenoid.

Thanks for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First thing I would do is remove the battery cables, clean the posts and the inside of the cables, reinstall. Cheap quick and easy. It might be the problem

I will try this first thing in the morning when I get back to my truck, but I'm not sure if it'll work. I wish I would have took a pic. the corrosion was so bad on the ground wire that I had to knock chunks off with the wrench before it came loose, after I lifted the ground cable off the battery, there was a good amount of that corrosion dust sitting around that area. The red cable didn't have this though.

Look into a PATS issue on this forum.

try checking for corrosion on ignition lead on starter, replacement starters come with a new lead as Ford says that the last 4 inches of original lead is prone to corrosion.

try checking for corrosion on ignition lead on starter, replacement starters come with a new lead as Ford says that the last 4 inches of original lead is prone to corrosion.

Got the Explorer back today. Mechanics said they couldn't find anything wrong, but when I got it back it now starts up very rough, and it took me a couple tries before i got it to start. If I don't rev up the engine as soon as it starts, it dies again. The first time I started it, the entire engine was rocking hard for few seconds before going back to normal.

Any thoughts?

Additionally, there's a huge delay in my acceleration. I have to almost (slightly) floor it to get it to accelerate at all.

Back