Battery Suggestions? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery Suggestions?

All together now: Op-ti-ma!! Op-ti-ma!! Op-ti-ma!! Op-ti-ma!! Op-ti-ma!! Op-ti-ma!!

Yup. Nothing takes the abuse better than an optima. I used to be a HUGE proponent of Exide.... 15 years ago, they were cream of the crop. After that whols scandal with Sears/DieHard, I lost all respect for that company. I refuse to support the activity of a corporation that knowingly and intentionally screwed its customers.

-Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, good luck with your choice and be sure to let us know what you decide.

Just to confuse you even more, I have an Optima in my boat. It just went bad after a little over a year. I was shocked because it has a great reputation. The battery was replaced for free, and I have no problems with the new one. When I took it back the salesperson said they were suddenly getting a lot of Optimas being returned.

Which ever battery you get, one word of advice is to check the battery at the store before you bring it home. I use to sell auto parts, including batteries. It was store policy to check the charge on the battery before we sold them. I was supprised how many tested with either low volts or just plain bad right off the rack. Some we would top off, others were sent back before they were even sold. Last time I bought a battery for my car the first two off the rack tested bad. I fianally asked the clerk to get me one from the back of the rack (which is where the new ones are loaded), and it was fine.

Well..

I bought from a seller that sells both, Optima $70 more..

Obviously he had no 'vested interest' in selling me an Orbital, but said he sees about 'the same' failure rate.. He continued on, to say that he LOAD TESTS before he sells a battery, and that the INITIAL failure rate, is actually higher for Optimas.. I saw him load my Orbital-- It was good to go.... I took it home and 'topped it off' with a Vector "smart charger..." I think it took a 12a charge about 40 minutes before saying "FuL" :)

NEEDLESS TO SAY, I'm putting my sale paperwork in my safe deposit box and essentially PLANNING on needing it in the future..

My departed Momma used to say.. "I carry a spare tire-- don't think I want a flat because of it.."

Thanks for the insight...

AJ

My original motorcraft battery

..has been in the car since the car rolled out of the factory, december 1994!

...how absurd is that? :thumbsup:

jmb1974 said:
..has been in the car since the car rolled out of the factory, december 1994!

...how absurd is that? :thumbsup:

They do last a long time... The original battery was in my truck and starting strong for 6 hard New England years, and over 100k miles.

Deka makes a Gel battery that holds 33% more gel then optima. Deka has been around longer then optima also...

I should be putting in a new battery and cables in this week also.

Is the OPTIMA 75/35 the recommended battery for most X's?

Back