• Register Today It's free!

battery terminal/wire questions

Andy96XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Branchburg NJ, Bethlehem PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
alright this is semi audio semi just regular electrical related. I need to change out my battery terminals because the terminals i have right now for lack of better words, suck. They are starting to corrode and are not conducting as well as they should be. I was just curious what people have used to cut and strip the large gauge wires? I remember when I used to run 1/0 gauge to my amps in my other car i would just cut the skin of the audio wires away with a knife, but the battery cables are more heavy duty insulated. Anyone have any suggestions or should I just do it the same way with a good knife carefully? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...A sharper knife? I swapped my terminals years ago for the same reason, I used a razor knife to cut the hard plastic insulation.

I always change my car's original wire for heavier car audio wire anyway ;) I still use a dulled utility knife or a coax stripper with adjustable depth.

sounds like a good old knife than. thats another thing to put on the spring break list. thanks guys

Like others have said either an old knife or coax stripper will do the job.

id rather use strippers but mine don't go that big, perhaps i need to take a trip to home depot again:D

I use my trusty Craftsman wire strippers...also I LOVE heavy duty marine terminals.

Back