Battery turning itself on??? Help

Kross13

Reaction score
City, State
Canton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer
Hi there,

I drive a 2005 Ford Explorer XLT and a few days ago after turning my car off, as I was walking into my house I heard my car radio start playing and interior lights came on. I unlocked and relocked the car on my key fob and the radio and lights turned off.

Today I got out of my car and it did the same thing. I locked the car again and it turned off, but immediately the radio started playing again. I got into my car, started it, let it run for a couple minutes and then turned the key to cut the power. The car did not power down and I could hear the engine still running. I could switch gears and drive the car while the key was set to OFF.

Again today I heard my radio start playing while the car was off and the keys were in my pocket. I walked over and looked in the window and all the gauges were up and the dashboard was lit as if I had the key set to turn the battery on. It continued to turn the battery on and off by itself for about 10 minutes.

The battery hasn't died, I've received no check charging system lights, or other new lights on my dash while operating.

Has anyone had anything like this happen to them? Any ideas? Is this my starter or my alternator or electrical problems?

Any advice helps!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Electrical gremlins. Put in a kill switch.

Call an exorcist?

Try locking the doors a second time, if the lights are on inside

as a reverend i would suggest lots of salt

My truck does this from time to time but i press the lock button a second time and it shuts every thing off.

Back