green_mtns

Reaction score
City, State
Colchester, VT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Saturn SL2 heheh
Baxter State Park

Baxter State Park is AWSOME!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have been going to this park for three years now. Incredible off road back country for all makes and models of vehicle. The wildlife is amazing the last half of May. Thinking about going Late spring, early summer though. Reservations need to be made now in order to get the best leanto or tent sites. This place is literaly in the boonies. 25 miles one way on a narrow rocky dirt road just to get to the campsites and trail heads! Check out the details below!

Let's get this trip planned now before it's too late! I recommend Nesowadnehunk Field Campground because it's the midway point for exploring the vehicle trails. I figured explore north of camp one day, then south of camp another, or on the way home. Roaring brook is very popular for light hiking and getting Amazing pictures of Maine's highest peak and the wildlife!

- Dan

Click for details!

Mount Katahdin!

The Trails!

Road Conditions for Baxter State Park

Traveling on roads in Baxter State Park is like traveling back in time. All roads inside the Park are narrow, winding, primitive dirt roads. Commonly, the roads form washboard surfaces and dust abounds. In heavy rains, gaping potholes occur. The roads are graded regularly, but the weather is a major factor in their condition.

Baxter State Park, in recent years, has seen a steady increase in visitor use. To preserve and protect the park resources in the condition that Percival P. Baxter intended, we have been forced to control access to trailheads. Once specific parking lots fill up, those areas are closed for the day. This has created additional problems in the form of road traffic. Percival Baxter was also adamant that roads would not be improved and the park would not become a drive through park. Baxter permitted roads for the sole purpose of allowing access so that people could come and hike in the woods and enjoy nature.

Throughout the summer and weekends in the fall tend to be our busiest times. Expect delays and traffic congestion along the roads. Please use pullouts to allow approaching traffic to pass by. The speed limit is 20 mph or less to protect animals from your car and your car from our primitive wilderness roads. Expect slow driving and please use caution around corners.

If you are stopping to view wildlife, please find a pullout to park in. This may mean driving forward or backward a few hundred yards, but must be done to ensure the safety of other drivers who wish to go around you. Pullouts are in place for short-term stops (15 minutes) and traveler safety only; pullouts are not authorized parking spots for hikers.
Accidents happen every year due to reckless driving.
Don't let it be you!
Please drive slowly, carefully and use pullouts when needed.

CAMPGROUND OPENING & CLOSING DATES (INCLUSIVE)

* Roaring Brook May 15th - Oct. 15th
* Chimney Pond June 1st - Oct. 15th
* Katahdin Stream May 15th - Oct. 15th
* Abol May 15th - Oct. 15th
* Daicey Pond May 15th - Oct. 15th
* Nesowadnehunk *Variable opening/closing dates
* Kidney Pond May - Friday of Memorial Day weekend- Oct. 15th
* Trout Brook Farm -*Variable opening date - Oct. 15th
* South Branch Pond May 15th - Oct. 15th
* Russell Pond May 15 - Oct. 15th

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That sounds cool but I wanted us to meet before spring so we could set in motions something along the lines like that.
Come on people I have done a starter, spark plugs, new battery, realigned the plate between the motor & tranny & cleaned out the throttle body. My baby wants to drive outta town.

Baxter State Park

The resevations for campsites at Baxter State park are being taken right now. It's a very popular spot. Every month we wait and don't make a reservation will be a less likely chance of not getting campsites close together (They could be miles apart from each other! lol).

Just wanted to get the word out now.

- Dan

what state is that in???

Baxter State Park.

Maine. I appologize for the Triple negative in Post #3. lol

"Every month we wait and don't make a reservation will be a less likely chance of not getting campsites close together"

- Dan

This Post was in Referance to the Pre-Spring Meet, not the Baxter State park trip.

The most central point for everyone for the meet that was mentioned is in Southern Vermont. Bennington is Okay. Readsboro / Willmington is nice to visit. Don't know much about the Brattleboro area.

- Dan

Dan, I like your idea, but what do you say we start a separate thread for Baxter since it's not open BEFORE spring?

I moved it in here. I can move it again with all the replies, hold on.

Dan, I like your idea, but what do you say we start a separate thread for Baxter since it's not open BEFORE spring?

Dan, what about a 2nd rendezvous point? Anyone who wouldn't end up backtracking could meet out there, and then meet the rest of us on the way east? Just an idea; I'm not sure what the route is to get there, anyways. I-95?

Do we know the fees?

I know Iam up for this. It has trails that my Pretty littel explorer will go on.

I'm down for it too, but I'm with Ike, what's the fees?? I don't know too much in ways of the New England area so I would need a very detailed route.

Sounds like a winner. I've browsed through the links and have a general feel for the area, but what is it like and what do most people who go up there do? Whats the deal with no alcohol? I can understand no OUI and public drinking, but if your at a camp site that should be ok or am I miss-reading something?

Yeah there seems to be a slight grey area with the alcohol. That should be researched more. Anyone know Maine laws on public drinking??

Yeah there seems to be a slight grey area with the alcohol. That should be researched more. Anyone know Maine laws on public drinking??

I like the way you think :cool:

I like the way you think :cool:

Hey camping ain't camping w/out alcohol!!! Plus is your vehicle considered public?? It's not here in CT it's considered private just like your house. hmmmmm

Dan, what about a 2nd rendezvous point? Anyone who wouldn't end up backtracking could meet out there, and then meet the rest of us on the way east? Just an idea; I'm not sure what the route is to get there, anyways. I-95?

The meeting point in Southern Vermont I mentioned below was an idea I had for the Pre-Spring Meet Not the Baxter Park trip.

As far as meeting for the Baxter run, anything is possible.

As for the alcohol, I don't drink, never been an issue for me.

As for the Fees, they are all listed HERE.

As for a direct Route, Any good mapping software or website will point you right to the Tote Road at the park. The address is:

Baxter State Park: 207-723-5140
Park Tote Rd, Millinocket, ME 04462, US

- Dan

If Jen decides to go, would it be possible to go up with her and share gas expenses, right now my truck is eating gas like crazy, and my CEL light is on, and there is a bad smell of rotten eggs. I plan to have it fixed within the next few weeks. Plus, I don't want to take a chance of something happening with it while I'm so far from home, and Maine is a heck of a lot farther than Vermont. Plus I hate driving without company.

I hope this is a weekend trip, or I'll have to decline this one. I can get a Friday off if I have enough notice. So let me know what's going on

I recommend 4 days. Lot's to see and two full days will be used just to get there and back.

- Dan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recommend 4 days. Lot's to see and two full days will be used just to get there and back.

- Dan

Yeah well I recommend we get a cabin. I'm sure there will be more than 4 of us going, so splitting the $75/night fee won't be too bad. Plus we would have access to gaslights and firewood which are included in cabin fee. That is if people don't have a problem bunking with the opposite sex for a couple of days. I don't know when the next long weekend is for everyone if we do like Dan suggests. Daicey & Kidney Pond Campground are the only ones that have the cabins

Back