• Register Today It's free!

bbk throttle body

nice92explorer

Reaction score
City, State
costa mesa, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer xlt
i got it, but on tjhe stock tb there is the sensor on top of it screwed on, and ive tried for about an hour to get it off, it looks like its screwed on reall really tight, and i dont want to strip it. what can i do to unscrew the screws. If i strip the screws will i still be able to take it off? please help me

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just find the perfect socket/head to use. I don't have my X here right now, so I'm not sure if you need a screwdriver or a socket. Probably a screwdriver. A drill would work best, and make sure the bit you use fit snuggly into the hole. I'm sure you can still get it off if you strip the screw, but might as well try hard not to strip it.

i tried to use the drill bit that came with my drill (screwdriver bit style) but its to small for the screws. but i have a fatter drill bit thats to big for screws should i try and make the fat drill bit fit into the screws? or should i use a socket wrench? help

Take a trip to home depot and spend a few bucks to get the right size... might save you from a big headache.

If you can use a socket then USE IT! You can get a lot more torque with a ratchet then with a screwdriver.

Although mine came off relatively easy with the proper size screwdriver, some of these have the screws locktighted in place. To loosen them you might have to use a hammer actuated impact driver. :hammer:

ok they are stripped. i went to home depot to buy a thing called an "easy out" that the guy told me to use. he said i should drill it into the screw and then when it was in half way then put it in reverse and slowly take it out. i tried to do this but the easy out screw didnt even penetrate the screw in the sensor. do i need a gun that has more power or what? my gun has 1/3hp . help

if this doesnt work when i try to work on it tommorow should i just go buy the sensor. any one have an idead how much it costs?

I stripped the screws on mine too, it's good the new TB comes with screws.

I got a drill bit that was slightly larger than the shaft of the screw. I drilled directly into the center of the screw and the heads popped off. Then you can just slide the TPS off and leave the screw studs in the old TB.

Or a new TPS is about $30 for you.

tps? does that mean throttle position sensor? is that what im trying to take off? if so can i go buy it at pep boys? (i hope)

Call them first to see if they have one in stock. Also sometimes you need a calibration code, but probably not for your 92.

But try my method first. Worst thing is you damage the sensor and have to get a new one anyway. Once we started drilling the screws out it only took 5 minutes to get the TPS off.

alright , stoked. so they should have it. ill call tommorow pep boys to see if they have it and if not ill call kragen and see if they have it. thanks for all the help guys. i cant wait to get it on.:)

got a dremel tool?

simple take a dremel tool, with a small cutoff wheel attached and put "Slots" in the screaws, making them into "flat head" screaws,, then just use a large flathead to get them off,,.
this has worked for me many times.

and/or you can try a good set of fairly small vice grips and grab the sides of them.

there's always a way to get a screaw out.....

alright guys i coudl get the screws out so i said screw it . So i went to pepboys and bought the sensor for 30 bucks. then i installed the tbi. i love it, it is so great, the throttle response is way better and i got some more power out of it. thanks for all the help guys.

Wow, $30 when it could've been free, anyways, Glad you like it!

got a problem again. Since i installed the bbk and the sensor, the check engine light is coming on. it will come on and then will go off and then come on again after periods of time maybe every 15 minutes. But the car is running fine and i listen around the tb to see if there were any leaks and there were none, i also unplugged and plugged back in the tps sensor twice. anyone know whats wrong.

The code is probably a TPS code but you should pull it just to be sure. If it is, my only advice is to tear everything down again fully and reinstall. But first make sure the TPS has a good mate to the TB and the wiring is clean. I think for some year TPSs you may need a spacer on the TB, if so the TB should have come with it.

the throttle body came with a gasket type thing but no big spacer. should i maybe unplug the negative side of the battery and reset it? and if so for how long

if that wont do anything , i should unplug the tps , and then take the tps off the tb and then put it back on? should i screw the screws on the tps pretty tight?

thanks for helping guys.

The TPS should be on pretty tight, but you don't have to force the screws.

Try getting your old TPS and putting it on. It may be that you have the wrong TPS.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh, and you should have reset the computer with the new TB.

Back