BD's 2000 Explorer Limited | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BD's 2000 Explorer Limited

2000 Explorer Limited

-Picked her up (10/13/2010)
-140,093 miles when I test drove it
-5.0 V8, AWD
-Pearl White
-Dark grey leather interior

My dream explorer basically, no more old ones, no more sports, I finally have an Explorer that I love everything about!

I absolutely love the limited, its got:
-Seats w/ headrests
-Memory power seats
-Heated/Puddle mirrors
-Better mirror without all the buttons, just the slider
-Painted to match bumpers and grille
-Woodgrain radio bezel
-Digital HVAC controls
-And its got the homelink visor with a nifty little voice recorder that I will probably never use LOL

And alot more, but im just in awe over its nice features compared to my previous rides. They even recently (In the past few months) had a brand new hitch installed and the trailer harness all wired up.

I dont have any set plans for this one yet, I do have hopes and dreams though, and im stoked about the V8 that has so many options.

Dream list:
-Torque Monster headers
-Custom Tune
-LED tails (Something custom maybe, I just need to study up on resistors and whatnot)
-BMW projectors in a blacked out housing

It does have a few problems that id like some help with, (Fixed all, besides this one)
1. The blower only works when its on all the way high, (Same thing in my grandam, but it was the blower motor resistor then everything worked great) is that a common problem on the digital HVACs?

"For sure" plans include:
-New rims, id like to get a nice 5-spoke set of 20's with a beefy tire
-Paint job in the spring, black
-Some interior accents (Id like todo another metallic blue color like I did in my grandam)

He was asking 3400$ in the ad, but I talked him and his wife down to 2900$ because I was pointing all the little problems out that I mentioned above.

I didnt get a chance to really take any pictures, as it was raining, and almost dark by the time I got home.

10-13-201011-32-20PM.png

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

I was bored on the way home so I took some random "driving" pictures :D

IMG_1252.jpg

My friend was driving my Grand Am in front of me, I have a Avic-F700BT in there that will also be going into the Explorer, he was using the GPS to get us back home

I was extremely happy also, I was averaging 16.2 MPG driving with a decently heavy foot getting the feel for the V8 I was controlling :D

IMG_1251.jpg

Edit- 1/21/11
New parts!

Hubs
Tie rod ends
Lower ball joints
Upper ball joints (Control arms)
Tires: Firestone Destination A/T's 255/70/R16's
Brake Pads

Soon:
Slotted (And drilled maybe) Rotors
Better pads
New shocks
Leafs
Shackles
Amsoil (In everything!)
Rebuilding tranny (And possibly a valve body kit)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pictures really do no justice for these tires, but
SANY0010.jpg

SANY0011.jpg

I absolutely love em! Not any more road noise than before, but they do pick up some more bumps.

God its so nice to be able to feel safe driving again! And let go of the wheel and go perfectly straight down the road.

...Not that I do that:p:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Those spots on the hood are killing me now! I think I might tackle that and fill those licence plate holes in the bumper in the next week or so when I get some time off work.

2011-01-21183932.jpg

Also did my 0 gauge wiring, ive had it laying around for 3 weeks now
2011-01-17124945.jpg

The grille went alot easier than I thought, but took so much more time. Its a used one, so it has some paint chipping/corrosion, but nothing some sanding cant fix. I plan on sanding it down and painting it glossy black real soon. I also need to touch up a few spots on the grill surround itself, I slipped with the dremmel :p: and id like to possibly bondo (Or something simaler) to fill the holes from the old grill posts, I can only imagine thats gonna look like ass in the direct sunlight.

Truck looks good, Brian.

Thanks bud, shes definitely a work in progress. I really want to rIp the running boards off and get some rocker panels on there but im scared. I just honestly don't know what I'd do when i see What i can only imagine is under them, lol.

Calm- there will be nothing to see under the running boards.

Literally- nothing. :O

Thats what I dont want to see! - Nothing!!

Im hoping to score some rockers (Cheap) on CL or something, do they just bolt on the same way the running boards do?

You'll have to mount aftermarket rockers another way, the stock type attach with holes that are up under the inside of the body, with brackets.

You will have a bunch of holes to fill, all along the fender flares.

Attachments

• Projectthread056.JPG
    Projectthread056.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 428
  • Projectthread104.JPG
    Projectthread104.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 454

Oh no! I didnt realize the fenders were part of the boards :(

I like my flares. Well, looks like no rockers until I score some new flares too! (JY)

Tomorrow my mission is to fix my windshield squirter pump, its been a tricky SOB. When I first got the truck, the fronts squirted like new, back didnt squirt. I found a small kink in the line, and then the back worked fine. Then the front quit for a week but the back still worked. (Wipers always wipe, but no juice), then it worked fine. Then after that first good snow, I had barely any pressure coming out, enough to barely hit the bottom 5" of the windshield.

Now its just completely dead. (Nothing squirts), wipers wipe, and like usual, the back works. I found a few threads suggesting to check the relay, tap the motor itself to see if its stuck (Which I wouldnt think either are wrong since the back window works) Are there 2 seperate relays?

And now im noticing when my front tires spin, my ABS light comes on (And stays on til I shut it off, and start it back up).

Im also wanting new shocks terribly, im traveling on back roads about 90% of the time now, and some are just awful, seems like my wheels are hopin, and im bouncing all over. I know obviously replace shocks in pairs, but how about the rears?

ARGH! Those small spots on the hood, and behind the grille (Where the old grill was cut) are killing me!
SANY0012.jpg

SANY0014-1.jpg

SANY0013-3.jpg

SANY0019-3.jpg

SANY0022-1.jpg

Bigger :D
SANY0024.jpg

SANY0026.jpg

those rust spots?

you should paint the part where the grille was cut black to make it look nice, no sense in trying to hack it all up trying to make it look perfect, I've done that a few times and it just turns out worse than before

of course I've tried to paint a few times and it comes out worse than before...

Hm, thats a good idea, never thought of that. But yea those are rust spots, the camera just makes them POP, they dont look that bad in person thank goodness:)

Spring is gonna be busy as HELL for me :D

Well after some research on shocks, I know im also doing them myself. (Figured it was gonna require taking off the knuckle and all that crap again!)

So far, im looking into MONROE Sensa-Trac's for the back.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=60655
(But what about the "5th" shock, should I just get a decent single shock for it? (The Sensa's come in sets of 2)

And for the fronts, maybe the Sensa Trac's, but im still looking. I just got off Rock, and im checking www.ShockWarehouse.com

OK- Now ive read alot of suggestions on the KYB's. I found a set of 4 on SW for 116$ shipped, but that just seems SO cheap.
http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/...41302-KYB-GR2-Ford,-Mazda,-and-Mercury-Trucks (Those are the fronts), im looking for improved handling, no bouncing over bumps, but nothing thats gonna make it ride harder than it does right now, that'd be ridiculous!

dont even bother with that 5 "shock" and technically its a stabilizer. I took mine off and I don't even feel a difference. Mine pretty much rusted through the casing too, but the rod was still nice and shiny.

I'd go with billsteins. I have rancho 5000 but before I had billsteins they were nice on the road. Were on the truck for 80,000 miles and the fronts had worn down a little but not too much. Billsteins might be expensive but worth the price.

Monroe makes good shocks too but, I heard don't last long, never had them though

Do you have ARC?

Edit: After doing some research monroes make ranchos too...My rancho shocks are holding up well, I do abuse them sometimes though :)

Change the fifth shock if you like a good handling vehicle. It only helps to reduce the side to side movement during cornering, which is not noticed by anyone. I could feel the improvement with my Bilstein shocks, all five of them.

For street use the Bilsteins are the standard, Koni's are the best. For off road use, you end up with Rancho's or a couple of other good brands. I have the Rancho/Monroe Reflex for the front of my 99 truck, due to being cheaper and guaranteed for life. Spend at least $40 each, anything less is a cheap shock that will not last all that long. Regards,

And Rock is cheaper than ShockWarehouse, even with our 'special deal' here.

I like the Reflex better than the Sensatrac, and I've had both...

dont even bother with that 5 "shock" and technically its a stabilizer. I took mine off and I don't even feel a difference. Mine pretty much rusted through the casing too, but the rod was still nice and shiny.

I'd go with billsteins. I have rancho 5000 but before I had billsteins they were nice on the road. Were on the truck for 80,000 miles and the fronts had worn down a little but not too much. Billsteins might be expensive but worth the price.

Monroe makes good shocks too but, I heard don't last long, never had them though

Do you have ARC?

Edit: After doing some research monroes make ranchos too...My rancho shocks are holding up well, I do abuse them sometimes though :)

I do not believe I have the ARC, I have "glanced" at my rear shocks but dont see anything out of the norm. Once in a blue moon I like to get off the pavement and get her dirty, but nothing like rockclimbing :p: Just minor mud and hills :D

Change the fifth shock if you like a good handling vehicle. It only helps to reduce the side to side movement during cornering, which is not noticed by anyone. I could feel the improvement with my Bilstein shocks, all five of them.

For street use the Bilsteins are the standard, Koni's are the best. For off road use, you end up with Rancho's or a couple of other good brands. I have the Rancho/Monroe Reflex for the front of my 99 truck, due to being cheaper and guaranteed for life. Spend at least $40 each, anything less is a cheap shock that will not last all that long. Regards,

Yea, from what ive read on the forums, it seems like everyone has theyre own opinion on that one. I for sure will be replacing it, but ill probably take the old one off first JUST to see how much of a difference it makes...im curious...But yea thats funny you say the 40$ thing, that was my cheapest. I was looking at a set of 4 KYB's shipped from SW for like $130 but the fact that theyre only about 28$ a piece, I kinda leaned away from them quickly after some more research.

And Rock is cheaper than ShockWarehouse, even with our 'special deal' here.

I like the Reflex better than the Sensatrac, and I've had both...

Ill be honest, I dont really care for the way SW.com is setup, im gonna look into the Reflexes, what Ex did you have 'em on? How many miles were on the previous set (Im assuming probably the stock shocks?)

chuck that 5th shock in the trash and Fox shock the whole truck, than you won't even need swaybars either

Ya know I was looking at those too...4 of em, WITH the Chrome Plating....Hell yea!

It'd only set me back a little:shifty_ey

Subtotal:
$1960.00

Shipping*:
$0.00

California Sales Tax 8.75%:
$171.50

Total:
$2131.50

thy can be had alot cheaper than that, you just need the smoothies, and they are alot cheaper,,
i have seen them for less than $150 each , and they are super bling,,

and they would last the life of your Explorer,

Back