BD's 2000 Explorer Limited | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BD's 2000 Explorer Limited

2000 Explorer Limited

-Picked her up (10/13/2010)
-140,093 miles when I test drove it
-5.0 V8, AWD
-Pearl White
-Dark grey leather interior

My dream explorer basically, no more old ones, no more sports, I finally have an Explorer that I love everything about!

I absolutely love the limited, its got:
-Seats w/ headrests
-Memory power seats
-Heated/Puddle mirrors
-Better mirror without all the buttons, just the slider
-Painted to match bumpers and grille
-Woodgrain radio bezel
-Digital HVAC controls
-And its got the homelink visor with a nifty little voice recorder that I will probably never use LOL

And alot more, but im just in awe over its nice features compared to my previous rides. They even recently (In the past few months) had a brand new hitch installed and the trailer harness all wired up.

I dont have any set plans for this one yet, I do have hopes and dreams though, and im stoked about the V8 that has so many options.

Dream list:
-Torque Monster headers
-Custom Tune
-LED tails (Something custom maybe, I just need to study up on resistors and whatnot)
-BMW projectors in a blacked out housing

It does have a few problems that id like some help with, (Fixed all, besides this one)
1. The blower only works when its on all the way high, (Same thing in my grandam, but it was the blower motor resistor then everything worked great) is that a common problem on the digital HVACs?

"For sure" plans include:
-New rims, id like to get a nice 5-spoke set of 20's with a beefy tire
-Paint job in the spring, black
-Some interior accents (Id like todo another metallic blue color like I did in my grandam)

He was asking 3400$ in the ad, but I talked him and his wife down to 2900$ because I was pointing all the little problems out that I mentioned above.

I didnt get a chance to really take any pictures, as it was raining, and almost dark by the time I got home.

10-13-201011-32-20PM.png

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

I was bored on the way home so I took some random "driving" pictures :D

IMG_1252.jpg

My friend was driving my Grand Am in front of me, I have a Avic-F700BT in there that will also be going into the Explorer, he was using the GPS to get us back home

I was extremely happy also, I was averaging 16.2 MPG driving with a decently heavy foot getting the feel for the V8 I was controlling :D

IMG_1251.jpg

Edit- 1/21/11
New parts!

Hubs
Tie rod ends
Lower ball joints
Upper ball joints (Control arms)
Tires: Firestone Destination A/T's 255/70/R16's
Brake Pads

Soon:
Slotted (And drilled maybe) Rotors
Better pads
New shocks
Leafs
Shackles
Amsoil (In everything!)
Rebuilding tranny (And possibly a valve body kit)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking good Brian:thumbsup: A little touch up paint on the hood would make it look so much better. I like the custom screen with your Limited and the large ford logo looks good too. Photoshop your chips for the screen shot.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Ditto, very nice.

Have you tinted your windows yet? I ask because it's getting the time that these are having interior sun damage, the dash and door panels mostly. You can tint all of the glass and save the parts from more sun damage. I've got it on my 91 Mark VII windshield now, after the dash cracked recently.

Do it, the lightest is about 80%, you can't tell it's there. I'm planning to put that on all of my 98's glass, except the front door glass. I'll make those match the back.

The other thing about tint- prices usually go up in the spring- for anyone looking to tint.

lookin good brian

Thanks guys for the comments, thats crazy that you brought up tinting the windows, i was just thinking about having the front doors done, but its illegal in MI. I do want a layer on them though even if its light. Theres so many cars around here with limo all around that I think id be fine to get them blacked out, but im not gonna risk it.

My buddy works at Ziebart, so he'll hook me up, probably 30$ for my front windows any shade. I want to get my back glass darker too, but im thinking JUST the sides though since its already hard enough to see at night when im backing up.

Here we go:thumbsup:

800x480.jpg

Matt over from TRS has been such a huge help, im ordering my retrofit kit as soon as he gets me a PayPal invoice.

Its gonna be:
FX-R projectors, clear lenses
CCFL halos
E46-R Extended Shrouds (Possibly the Gattling instead)
5Five Morrimoto 5000k HID Kit
(All necessary wiring)

And I think I get a set of Audi Style LED Strips free with the order.

And I think I get a set of Audi Style LED Strips free with the order.

You should mount them in the middle (under) your running boards and wire them to the puddle lamps. That would look cool at night when you unlock the X.

You could also mount them on the bottom edge of your rear bumper trim, then you could see the rust at night, too... :D (sorry- had to)

Yea I dunno where im gonna put them....def. NOT on the bumper you ass :p:

I do want to do some individual LEDs in the housings though, 1-2 5w LEDs in each headlight wired up with my dome lights (So when I unlock the truck, I have some forward light)

And I wouldnt mind a couple small white LEDs in there wired up with the parking lamps.

Is 144$ a good deal for a MAC intake? Theyre on eBay right now for 160$ but I have a 10% off coupon which brings it to 144$ plus 15$ shipping...

Ive wanted an intake since way before I even had the exhaust...im wondering if I should jump on it since my coupon expires tomorrow I think...

*EDIT* Theyre normally 169$ but the seller is offering 5% off which brings it to 160$ and my coupon brings that down to 144$

#2 EDIT* After some searching, im finding alot of mixed feelings on the Mac..I dont want to buy it and then buy a different filter for it and whanot, whats wrong with the filters that they use?

Im tackling my bumper this weekend....:)

Take some good pics of the rust repair process :)

Good luck on the bumper. Mine looked like yours. I attacked it with a grinder. The rust was extremely deep. I guess I missed a few very small little pin spots, because it is back. I'm searching for a new one this weekend at the junkyard.

(This isnt a permanent fix, just a fun weekend project ive wanted todo for months now. I want to find a chrome bumper before I get my whole truck painted late this summer)

Oh and ill remember todo that fancy quad-coat technique when painting ;)

Aircraft remover is fun :D

2011-03-18160538.jpg

2011-03-18160545.jpg

2011-03-18161523.jpg

2011-03-18162243.jpg

2011-03-18162243.jpg

Is there a trick to getting that damn plastic on top off? I really dont wanna take the bumper off...

And just for ***** & gigs, I called a local bodyshop to see how much paint and clear would be for them todo it, if I do all the prep work, they want 250$ and thats only an estimate, she said she'd guarantee it would be a little more than that.....IM GOOD!

Now attack it with that dewalt grinder!! :p:

I attacked it with 3 fully charged batteries until they all died :D

Im pissed because there are small pinholes where the rust did eat through. Im wondering if I should bondo them?

Oh and I am going to remove it. I guess ill have to suffer the embarrassment of not having a rear bumper for a few days. I actually have saw probably 10 cars/trucks on the way home without them too :D (Gonna remove it tomorrow, I dont have sockets big enough to take my hitch off)

Anywho, it looks about the same, but with the 2 big rust spots on the passenger side all sanded downm, and about 95% of the paint gone. Im also gonna paint that little plastic "step" piece black.

I was also throwing around the idea of getting all the rust gone, and then 'glassing the whole thing. I would rather have a spare todo that too though incase it turned out like doodoo.

So now im noticing this problem (It screams spark plugs to me, but maybe im wrong)

When im driving on main roads/highway etc its fine, but lately when im going through my neighborhood (nothing over 25mph basically) its just a really unsteady idle if that makes sense. Ill be holding the gas pedal going 20 or so and its like im tapping the gas pedal, its wanting to slow down then speed back up, then down, im ready for plugs and wires for sure, which im gonna be ordering, but is there anything else I should do also, (Im a noob when it comes to ignition...)

Like coil packs, distributor cap, etc. What do they do? Any way they can go bad or wear out over time?

Back