BD's 2000 Explorer Limited | Page 38 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BD's 2000 Explorer Limited

2000 Explorer Limited

-Picked her up (10/13/2010)
-140,093 miles when I test drove it
-5.0 V8, AWD
-Pearl White
-Dark grey leather interior

My dream explorer basically, no more old ones, no more sports, I finally have an Explorer that I love everything about!

I absolutely love the limited, its got:
-Seats w/ headrests
-Memory power seats
-Heated/Puddle mirrors
-Better mirror without all the buttons, just the slider
-Painted to match bumpers and grille
-Woodgrain radio bezel
-Digital HVAC controls
-And its got the homelink visor with a nifty little voice recorder that I will probably never use LOL

And alot more, but im just in awe over its nice features compared to my previous rides. They even recently (In the past few months) had a brand new hitch installed and the trailer harness all wired up.

I dont have any set plans for this one yet, I do have hopes and dreams though, and im stoked about the V8 that has so many options.

Dream list:
-Torque Monster headers
-Custom Tune
-LED tails (Something custom maybe, I just need to study up on resistors and whatnot)
-BMW projectors in a blacked out housing

It does have a few problems that id like some help with, (Fixed all, besides this one)
1. The blower only works when its on all the way high, (Same thing in my grandam, but it was the blower motor resistor then everything worked great) is that a common problem on the digital HVACs?

"For sure" plans include:
-New rims, id like to get a nice 5-spoke set of 20's with a beefy tire
-Paint job in the spring, black
-Some interior accents (Id like todo another metallic blue color like I did in my grandam)

He was asking 3400$ in the ad, but I talked him and his wife down to 2900$ because I was pointing all the little problems out that I mentioned above.

I didnt get a chance to really take any pictures, as it was raining, and almost dark by the time I got home.

10-13-201011-32-20PM.png

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

I was bored on the way home so I took some random "driving" pictures :D

IMG_1252.jpg

My friend was driving my Grand Am in front of me, I have a Avic-F700BT in there that will also be going into the Explorer, he was using the GPS to get us back home

I was extremely happy also, I was averaging 16.2 MPG driving with a decently heavy foot getting the feel for the V8 I was controlling :D

IMG_1251.jpg

Edit- 1/21/11
New parts!

Hubs
Tie rod ends
Lower ball joints
Upper ball joints (Control arms)
Tires: Firestone Destination A/T's 255/70/R16's
Brake Pads

Soon:
Slotted (And drilled maybe) Rotors
Better pads
New shocks
Leafs
Shackles
Amsoil (In everything!)
Rebuilding tranny (And possibly a valve body kit)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wicked work Brian:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Got my hole drilled just now. Gotta work though, and im assuming the easiest way to run wire with the Dynamat would be to take it out, then cut the hole through the mat?

2011-04-20161028.jpg

So im not wiring anything just yet.

Brian. You need to line the hole with something or the metal will cut through the insulation on that huge power lead. If that happens your truck will do this on the side of the road while you weep

zFTCLaterModelsPicsVII09.jpg

I know, it was just a "Test" run of the wire, now there's. A thick rubber boot, and grommet:thumbsup:

Thanks for watching out though!

Don, thanks, I started out with 50 sq.ft. and used quite a bit of it, but I think I might have enough for the doors left. I havent done the rear yet, or the sides, but that's coming soon after hearing how quiet this made it. (Its like night and day!)

Lynchy- thanks buddy!

That's good to hear, I've been wanting to do that also, to begin my stereo installation.

Brian, how did that deal go in Ohio on Saturday?
I should have came down, I called the guy about that Supercharged 302 and he wasn't available, I've given up and I'm just gonna sell the Mountaineer, let me know if you want my 20's, I'll let you at them for... $500? :)

Duuuude! I want those wheels! Hows the meat?

That's good to hear, I've been wanting to do that also, to begin my stereo installation.

Gosh, you have a HUGE list lol, I cant say much though, I have ALOT id like todo but wont get around to it for awhile.

Brian, how did that deal go in Ohio on Saturday?

Be glad you didnt. I had my, my gf, her little bro & sis, and my buddy Frank from work all piled up in my X to go down there, left at 730 to get them all, got there about 830, there were already about 25 in front of us, some had been waiting since mid-afternoon the previous day (Stupid), but about 930 there were over 200 people, and by 10 there were still cars flying in (Probably 350+ people and counting), we get to the door, I got four 25$ cards, and a 50$ card.

Get this; to use the 25$ card, you have to spend a minimum of 100$, and to use the 50$, you have to spend 200$. I dont even want to know what you had to spend to use the 250$ card. I was SO pissed. Needless to say, after a little browsing, and them telling me for a basic "Avital" 2-way remote start/alarm installed was 500$ (plus tax), we were gone.

I have a set of Orion speakers up front that I LOVE. Got them for like 40$ out the door last time. This time I figured id at least get those, but now they wanted like 75$ plus tax.

Needless to say, im no longer a customer/fan of Car Stereo One, and at those prices, I dont know how they stay open. They had a pair of 75w 6x8's or whatever our X'es take, and they wanted like 280$ for them. Basic 2 way speakers, I dont even think they were a name brand.

7" flipdown monitors: $400+

:thumbdwn:

Bleh that's so sucky!

The wheels have good tread on the back and the fronts have some inner wear, I bought them off a guy who had them on a 3rd gen and all of his suspension was completely blown so he was selling them to foot his $1,000 bill (he's not a do it yourself kinda guy)

And with my truck lowered 2" they only rub a little bit of the plastic wheel well, I'm not sure how they will look on a stock height though.. :-\

Damnit on the rubbing, and you have a good point, your lowered already :(

Let me know what happens with the Mounty, maybe tell him 2100$ without them or something? (Thats up to you)

But will the uneven wear hurt my alignment/awd or anything?

I just got back from the JY, in high hopes to find a good blower motor controller. I got one, BUT it looks pretty toasted but who knows if it works. (Got it free)

And then I seen an 02 Sport, so I HAD to snag the gauge cluster, get up to the counter, and the woman says 50 bucks.

Im like FIFTY!? Shes like yes those are very hard to find clusters and thats from an 02.

I tried explaining to her that they go for 50$ or so on eBay in alot better shape than this one, and that clusters from 95-01 and 01-03 sports are interchangable, but naturally im just a 19 year old kid who knows jack spit right?

(Sorry, just venting, this lady really pissed me off!)

I don't know about them messing with your suspension or anything, maybe you could but those 2 on the back where it's a solid axle and put the 2 that are in great shape up front?

And LOL at that lady. What junkyard do you go to?

Stoney Creek Auto.

I can safely say I will never go back, unless im in dire need of a part.

They used to be a great yard, guy would throw a price out and you could negotiate, now they do everything electronically and wont budge a damn dollar, I told the lady $30? Nope. $40? Nope. "$50 firm, these are rare"

It sucks, theres not many by me, the next closest one is in Ohio, you have to sign a waiver, and pay 2$ to get in the yard, then they only tell you where the vehicle might be if they have any (They point out which direction). Its a joke too.

Ah, you need to just come move out more north lol, we have quite a few more yards and we're just all around a lot more fun up here, haha.

keep up good work brian

I miss Novi so bad, and I definitely have plans to move back up that way in the next couple years:D

I'm like the only guy from the Monroe area on this board :\ No fun! :(

Brian, tires for an AWD have to be the same diameter or the viscous clutch will wear out trying to make them go the same speeds.

The key is the diameter, not whether an edge is worn a lot. As long as the overall diameter is virtually the same, they will work. You can't mix a new tire with one or more that are almost bald. Those could easily be 1/4" different in diameter.

So go by the actual diameter of the tires. The width doesn't matter or any wear of one part of the tire, just the diameter. You aren't in dire need are you?:p:

So then his would probably be fine? I fixed my previous post ;)

So I saw these auxilliary driving lights earlier at walmart, one box was marked down from 20$ to like 5.88$

Im assuming it was a mistake or something, but I was all over that, so I got them for about 6 bucks. I thought it might be cool to get them, and throw a really low temp HID kit in them (The yellow ones, for fog) since we've had quite a bit of fog lately in the mornings.

I found a bunch of my old HID stuff, and these lights just happened to use H3 bulbs, which is what I had, so I threw the kit in the bulbs, HID over halogen is so much better its almost ridiculous.

2011-04-28012519.jpg

2011-04-28012512.jpg

2011-04-28011959.jpg

I saw the coolest lightbulbs at Walmart too!
2011-04-27215028.jpg

Tons of SMD LEDs! I would have bought all of these, but they were only appliance bulbs (Stove/fridge etc)

Those driving lights look pretty good for being Walmart and on the cheap. Good find!

And if you ever go to HomeDepot they have TONS of LED bulbs for everything.

Oh man the closest Home Depot is up there by Old Country Buffet. I might check eBay or something, lol.

Back