BD's 2000 Explorer Limited | Page 60 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BD's 2000 Explorer Limited

2000 Explorer Limited

-Picked her up (10/13/2010)
-140,093 miles when I test drove it
-5.0 V8, AWD
-Pearl White
-Dark grey leather interior

My dream explorer basically, no more old ones, no more sports, I finally have an Explorer that I love everything about!

I absolutely love the limited, its got:
-Seats w/ headrests
-Memory power seats
-Heated/Puddle mirrors
-Better mirror without all the buttons, just the slider
-Painted to match bumpers and grille
-Woodgrain radio bezel
-Digital HVAC controls
-And its got the homelink visor with a nifty little voice recorder that I will probably never use LOL

And alot more, but im just in awe over its nice features compared to my previous rides. They even recently (In the past few months) had a brand new hitch installed and the trailer harness all wired up.

I dont have any set plans for this one yet, I do have hopes and dreams though, and im stoked about the V8 that has so many options.

Dream list:
-Torque Monster headers
-Custom Tune
-LED tails (Something custom maybe, I just need to study up on resistors and whatnot)
-BMW projectors in a blacked out housing

It does have a few problems that id like some help with, (Fixed all, besides this one)
1. The blower only works when its on all the way high, (Same thing in my grandam, but it was the blower motor resistor then everything worked great) is that a common problem on the digital HVACs?

"For sure" plans include:
-New rims, id like to get a nice 5-spoke set of 20's with a beefy tire
-Paint job in the spring, black
-Some interior accents (Id like todo another metallic blue color like I did in my grandam)

He was asking 3400$ in the ad, but I talked him and his wife down to 2900$ because I was pointing all the little problems out that I mentioned above.

I didnt get a chance to really take any pictures, as it was raining, and almost dark by the time I got home.

10-13-201011-32-20PM.png

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

I was bored on the way home so I took some random "driving" pictures :D

IMG_1252.jpg

My friend was driving my Grand Am in front of me, I have a Avic-F700BT in there that will also be going into the Explorer, he was using the GPS to get us back home

I was extremely happy also, I was averaging 16.2 MPG driving with a decently heavy foot getting the feel for the V8 I was controlling :D

IMG_1251.jpg

Edit- 1/21/11
New parts!

Hubs
Tie rod ends
Lower ball joints
Upper ball joints (Control arms)
Tires: Firestone Destination A/T's 255/70/R16's
Brake Pads

Soon:
Slotted (And drilled maybe) Rotors
Better pads
New shocks
Leafs
Shackles
Amsoil (In everything!)
Rebuilding tranny (And possibly a valve body kit)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

grab your camera and shoot a video of you trying to move the rear drive shaft yoke in all directions. try to spin it and wiggle it back and forth

then go to the front u joint at the rear of the transfer case and do the same thing-

grab a light also-it's dark out there

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Yes, the u-joints would be somewhat obvious if they get too bad/worn. They would have too much movement in the actual joints, but early on they may just make some noise first.

The front driveshaft and other parts are more likely to wear out.

Didn't get a chance yet to get out and shoot a quick video, been at work all day. I finally (about a month ago) ordered a small 2" tach to finally fill the extra hole in my pillar pod. I got it a couple of days ago and got it hooked up. I want to get the matching volt gauge but trying to save a bit for awhile.

It's got a smoked lens so it's all black when off, and LED illuminated when it's on.
a3231ea5.jpg

46aa426f.jpg

Its been a hell of a last couple days thats for sure.

Anyways, insurance is off the X for now, so shes parked. (My mom has a couple weeks off work, so she doesnt need the car, so ill just be driving that until then).

And I finally got out today to make a video of the driveshaft like turdle suggested.

Not what I was expecting:
[Youtube]<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZRdvfKh-tXY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZRdvfKh-tXY?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>[/media]

Does it matter that it hasnt been driven in a few days? I just went to get the mail, and took a spin down the back road here, and when I first backed out, it didnt make the noise at all...but when I got back it did make it. Im thinking maybe I should go shoot another video.

mine were the same way they "checked" fine but I replaced them anyways since I already had the parts, they're not all that expensive, and it doesn't look like they were ever done, so I would just do them and call it a day.

Another fun day at the junkyard.

I grabbed a new radio bezel, and decided to grab a new steering column piece (The plastic that snaps around the steering column where the gear shift and MFS come through).

I get up there, tell him which X I pulled it from, and he asked what year mine was (Model, year, etc) and hes like well for one, I cant sell you this. Im like wtf why?

He says because its part of the steering column and they only sell it with the whole column.

Okay? Then he proceeds to say, yea that was a Sport anyways, I guarantee it wouldnt have fit. Theres barely anything interchageable on those Sports comapred to the 4 door Explorers.

I paid him the 10 bucks for the bezel, turned around and laughed as I walked out the door.

None of them there do. One of the last times I was there I think I was getting a taillight and it too was off of a sport and he told me it wouldn't fit a 4 door. :rolleyes:

So I decided to go get some more simple green and give my X a good deep cleaning. All the door jambs, crevices and anywhere else that was dirty.

I also lubed up all the door latches and hinges and my hatch opens normally again! I'm also putting my message center back in and a stock radio bezel I grabbed at the JY. Im sick of not having my interior complete while I work on that iPad bezel.

I was loving the other day having nice 70 degree weather but now it's back to 40s with wind.

I've been driving the Fiesta a lot more lately, and I took the X outfit a while yesterday, oh how I missed my 302 :)

I cant believe I let her get as dirty as I did. Its been quite a while since I cleaned all the door jambs, behind the hatch, and all those hard to reach crevices that seem to get dirty for no reason, it looks like a new vehicle when I open the doors again :D

I even pulled my box out to clean!

89ce3a50.jpg

112ce4ef.jpg

7e53db22.jpg

Did these FOREVER ago, but never had a bezel to put them back into ;)
a4bbc79c.jpg

I fixed my popping problem in reverse....

My emergency brake cable has been snapped/broke since ive owned it, and I forgot how it hangs by the rear tire...

So a few zip ties later, no more popping!

Cant really tell in the video, but I backed up about 100', turned either way, and went forward a bit, NO more popping! :)

Update for anyone who was reading about the whole Remote Start issue.

PayPal being PayPal, they decided in his favor. (Which proves to me that they OBVIOUSLY dont read the sellers comments and evidence). They took the 80$ back from me, and held it until I recieved the package then they would refund him the money.

I got the package a few days later with nothing in it besides one wire, and package for the extra remote I had for it.

Obviously, I appeal it on PayPal, call them and they couldnt have apoligized any more, I told them its not their fault he did that, but they need to start reading the information the buyer sends! Anyways, they said I just needed a police report faxed to them to prove basically that nothing was in it, and then I would get my money back from him.

Easy enough right? No. I finally got out today and went to the local PD, (Its a State Dept.)

The lady was acting like I was speaking chinese to her. She couldnt have been anymore rude or disrespectful, and told me that shes not gonna do anything because its a civil matter. She said I would have to goto the courthouse and I would sue the guy for $3000, and they would subpena (Sp?) him and I pretty much have a 99.9% chance of winning.

Im not that big of a d*ck, im not sue-happy and im not gonna sue the guy. She told me to call them and see what else I can do because shes not wasting her time with this. :rolleyes:

So I sit out in the lot, call them, explain what happened, and he told me this is NOT a civil matter, its a form of Mail Fraud/Theft. He told me to go back and tell them that, and that it happens alot. So I did, I went in and explained that to her. She started being a hell of a lot nicer at this point. She said well all her guys are at the range and she cant contact them now. Id have to come back Monday and sit down with one of them. (I only have 10 days to appeal, and started it last week I thought, so I told her I dont have until monday, and she told me that there was nothing she could do then; come to find out, I have until the 15th:thumbsup:)

So instead of waiting, I went to the county sherriff, and they pointed me in the right direction, and then spoke to a deputy. He pretty much was the same way. He told me that PayPal is just lazy, and doesnt want to look at the evidence so they want me todo all this work that they dont have to. I told him its just a police report...they need 3rd party evidence to prove that there was nothing in the box. (Actual quote from PP representitive).

So he handed me a business card and told me to have them contact him and to have a nice day as he closed his door in my face.

:mad:

At this point im furious. I call PP again, explain the story again adding what this guy said. So after all the apologies, he put me on hold to talk to his supervisor to see what they can do since the police simply wont file a report for me. He asked if by any chance I got the deputy's name, and I said yea, gave it to him and he gave that to his supervisor. He said they will contact me within 48 hours, and most likely I will get my money back without having to file the report.

This is how I sent it out:
IMAG0411-1.jpg

This is how the kid returned it:
IMG_0309.jpg

With the exception of the remote plastic being in there and some eBay reciept for a 20$ piece.

nice lookin ex brian! the 22's look good, did you ever get a replacement tire for the one that blew? what tire size are you running? and i read that you manage a kroger gas station on Dixie? where at because i work at a shop off Dixie in bridgeport

and hows the remote start fiasco goin?

nice lookin ex brian! the 22's look good, did you ever get a replacement tire for the one that blew? what tire size are you running? and i read that you manage a kroger gas station on Dixie? where at because i work at a shop off Dixie in bridgeport

and hows the remote start fiasco goin?

Thanks man! The tire was fine thank god, I took it to the shop and they popped it off and resealed the bead, all has been well since.

I'm not sure what size the tire is off the top of my head though.

I quit about 3 months ago now, now I'm out on Laplaisance road right around the corner from my house. It's 7-Eleven, but only temporary until I get into Ford, GEMA, or JCIM on Dixie. (Can't complain about my job though, it's a he'll of a lot of fun everyday, specially working in the same building with Taco Bell, we all have a blast)

As for the remote start, I'm still waiting to hear from PayPal, I may go into the state police station tomorrow and try again.

Its cold as hell outside, but my X was in desperate need of a bath, so I spent a good while at the carwash today.

55b28a5d.jpg

b87afd50.jpg

21130513.jpg

656a3f90.jpg

cf1b8b39.jpg

c2ffa67e.jpg

8a1be78e.jpg

d632e040.jpg

d77029cc.jpg

(Notice ^ I finally fixed that plastic piece on the side of my seat! No more hanging way down!) :D

My rear seats are in desperate need of a Magic Eraser treatment, and I desperatly need some goo-gone! (Spot from the velcro on my previous radar detector on the dash, and then that spot on the right rear panel in the cargo area, some FatMat got stuck under my sub box I guess, and kept rubbing, getting all that black goop on the panel.

Other than that, lately shes getting some much needed TLC. Its weird having both back seats in :p:

The shorter drivers side seat has been folded up for so long that it was all deformed, but after some heat and pushing it around, its pretty much back to normal.

Im close to putting the stockers back on for the Winter, I saw snow yesterday! It was so beautiful! :D

looks nice man!

thats a clean lookin second gen for sure. it's hard to tell those are 22's though

Thank you sir!

I had a stockpile of Magic Erasers (Target brand ;)) somewhere but cant find them now! I might have to run out and go get some.

I got the package a few days later with nothing in it besides one wire, and package for the extra remote I had for it.

This is how the kid returned it:
IMG_0309.jpg

Did you get your $$$ back? If you still have the box he sent you it should have the weight on it. Take it to the post office and have them weigh it with the items that were in it. The weight should come up the same proving the box was empty. This will be enough evidence to get your money back.

Back