• Register Today It's free!

Beach Modifications

Snappy

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
Hi, I recently bought a 96 explorer. I live in NC and have access to drive on beaches and want to do some modifications to make it better on the soft sand, I took it on the beach yesterday and it did pretty good stock I just want to make it better.

So far I plan on doing:
Torsion bar lift
ProComp 13120 add a leaf
Warrior 153 shackles
Goodyear wrangler tires

any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lift won't really help at all. Wider tires are the key, and airing them down.
Even stock size tires benefit greatly from airing down. 15 lbs or lower is the ticket.

Lift won't really help at all. Wider tires are the key, and airing them down.
Even stock size tires benefit greatly from airing down. 15 lbs or lower is the ticket.

I mainly wanted to lift because the front of the explorer kept dragging in the sand where it had piled up from other vehicles. Also thanks for tip about airing down the tires, I knew about airing them down but i didn't know how much. Thanks!

The absolute best thing you can do, is keep your weight down. Rock sliders, big bumpers, bigger axle, etc just make you sink down more. Of course those things are helpful/needed on trails.

I mainly wanted to lift because the front of the explorer kept dragging in the sand where it had piled up from other vehicles. Also thanks for tip about airing down the tires, I knew about airing them down but i didn't know how much. Thanks!

Depending on where you drive sometimes you really do need the lift, sometimes it's to help overcome the loss of height from airing down.

Where I drive on sand it's miles of firm damp sand up from the water line but not right up into the soft stuff so I don't air down much. I just have to make it the first 50 - 100 yards then after that it's almost like a highway.

As an experiment I once drove straight off the road onto the sand leaving the tyres aired up and in Auto, it did fine.
That wasn't a dune though.
That's not how I would usually drive.

I had a HiLux (Tacoma I think) dual cab with a LSD and standard 215R16 Bridgestone Desert Doodler tyres, I just aired them down to 28psi, I had to use low range on the soft stuff is all.

Wranglers would be good but I really don't like them on the road unless they've improved sometime in the last 20 years.

Generally the tyre needs to have a softish sidewall and not aggressive tread, mud tyres are out.

If you're going on the beach spray underneath with either fish oil or lanolin depending on whether you want to be followed around by cats or Welshmen.
This will prevent rust.

I don't understand why people in the rust belt let their cars fall apart the way they do.

Onboard air is a good idea. At least a small compressor. I like the Harbor Freight unit, but get the best one they sell. Tire pressure gage. The tire filler air down things. I forget what they are called, but they let you air down quickly without removing the core.

A bigger transmission cooler is helpful, and perhaps a transmission temperature gage.

Extend the differential and transmission vent lines.

A spare battery is nice to have or at least a back up battery jump starter

Tow hooks, tow strap, ect.

A shovel and a couple of plywood jack bases.

Back