Bearings replaced - WOW - and question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bearings replaced - WOW - and question

TourGuide

Reaction score
City, State
West Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Limited
I finally had both fronts done on my 2007 and all I can say is WOW!! What a difference! :thumbsup:

I had no idea those were making THAT much noise. Really pleased with the outcome. I hope these last a good long while, because at $250 per bearing plus labor it isn't a job I want to have done any time soon in the future.

Does anyone have a source for motorcraft back wheel bearings for cheap? I've been looking on ebay and the spot I bought my fronts, but haven't seen any great deals on the backs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many miles did yours go out at.

I had mine replaced at 106K, but I suspect they had been bad for a while before that. I bought the truck with 96k on it and I never really noticed it getting a whole lot worse, so maybe it was that way when I bought it. Now I know what it is supposed to sound like.

Thanks for the link.

Is that the part for the 07 4wd? When I try to check compatible vehicles, it is a dead end link.

What is the story for replacing the rears? For the fronts, the garage basically insisted on new hub assemblies. The link above is just the bearing - which would be great if that is all I have to replace, but I'm wondering about the hub too.

I looked up 06, but I think that part has not change since 2002. I am on my 4th rear right bearing. The factory one went at 75k, had a shop replaced it for about 400 bucks. After 24k miles that bearing was shot, so luckily for me they replaced that under warranty. That one lasted I believe 16k miles. This time I bought a Motorcraft/Timken from the dealer for about $90, and took the knuckle out; you need to take the brakes apart, unbolt some links, little tight but not very bad job, I saw 02-05 are much worse. I took the knuckle to a shop with a press, and they pressed out the old one and installed the new one for about $30. Overall the rears are less $$$ but much more work if DIY. I believe the shop was using some chinese bearings.

Yeah, it looks like that timken part is the same for the 2007. Amazon has them for even a little cheaper. I have a friend who is a retired Ford mechanic. I think I'll ask him what he wants to do the job. If I can just buy the bearings and pay him for labor that won't be so bad.

Back