Beautiful Baja | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Beautiful Baja

Trail carnage on this trail included:

Cobra CB Radio - the thing just burned up after getting too hot after all those hrs with the gain turned up 3/4.

Durango 4X4 Cargo Basket - the ice cooler on John Vera's Durango unit got bent and warped. He sent it back for a full refund.

Jeep rear door - the Durango 4x4 spare tire carrier wasn't up to the task of carrying a stock 30" tire - resulting in a bent rear door from the constant jarring and bumps on rocks.

Stock Jeep Oil Pan - after high-centering 3X on the tall rocks, a 12 week old Wrangler X almost didn't make it home. Good thing JB Weld was packed along with duct tape or it would have ended up as trail junk for the locals to pick through.

Two overhead-style cargo carriers - the Cherokee and Ford Explorer both had trouble with the mounts on these units. Once again, the constant jarring had plenty to do with this. The Pole Line Road shouldn't be underestimated due to its unforgiving nature and 3 Days of full trail running can result in some serious vehicular damage or worse.

THIS WAS A GREAT TIME ON A GREAT TRAIL - LET'S DO IT IN DEC. 05!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the group shot Ken. I'm going to go see Dust to Glory next week when I get up to LA. I'll be looking for The Baja Explorer in it :) It was great to meet all those people. I'll be heading down to San Quintin next, I hope to get time to go up the observatory road.

See any wildlife on the trip?

Nope, not unless you count the Werewolf that was standing next to me when I was taking a leak at 3am (I swear it was there!) :eek:

The kids wanted to see a rattlesnake, but no such luck. There were lots of flowers & healthy plants though, we've had a lot of rain out here & the plants looked great.

Attachments

• desert-flower.jpg
    desert-flower.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 192

CG said:
Nope, not unless you count the Werewolf that was standing next to me when I was taking a leak at 3am (I swear it was there!) :eek:

The kids wanted to see a snake, but no such luck. There were lots of flowers & healthy plants though, we've had a lot of rain out here & the plants looked great.
I think what you saw was the dreaded CHUPACABRA (goat sucker) big teeth, dangerous, they will suck your blood, beware :eek:

Yup, that’s what it was for sure! Must have been 5 or 6 of the foul buggers lurking around :) they’re fast though, soon as you hit ‘em with the flashlight, they’re gone!

Attachments

• chupa.jpg
    chupa.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 204

:thumbsup:

Awesome trip report CG. It makes me wish to do that trip one day.

extremely extreme...wow. Nice job to all and especially Ken cooke for geting all those rigs up and down in one piece....In ken we trust

spindlecone said:
See any wildlife on the trip?

Suzanne and I spotted a pair of wild burros running alongside a hill near us. They camoflauged with the surrounding terrain so well that we pointed the camera right at them, but you still couldn't really see them. Kinda like, "Where is Waldo" set in the desert...

Josh S. said:
hahaha, what the hell is that chupacabra thing?? is it like snipehunting? anyways looks like y'all had a great time out there, I miss baja :(
NEVER diss the Chupacabra, those puppys are for real, have been in BAJA no less than 20 times on many hunting trips.
Every time I imbibe in the local Brew, mostly Mezcal or home brewed pulque, you see those evil creatures, they will suck your blood :eek:

Back