Bed extender question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bed extender question

rbo11

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 STA
Greetings,

I just replaced my 2004 Sport Trac with a 2010 model. Unlike my 2004, this truck did not come with a bed extender - which I need. My question is should I get the one from Ford for $300+ or has anyone bought a 2nd party extender? AMP Research has one for $225 delivered...I want to be sure it will swing in and out without hitting the folded back hard Tonneau cover. I haven't seen anything on Craigslist yet, either. Also, will all 2007-2010 extenders fit my truck?

Thanks in advance for any insight you may have.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if i were you, just stay patient on craigslist. i see them on there all the time. i got mine off craigslist, its the ford extender and i got it for 35 bucks.

if you have a factory bed cover the 01-05 extender will hit the cover latch brackets when folding in/out. I kept my 1st gen extender and am using it without an issue on my 2010 ST, but I sold the bed cover and removed the brackets. The 07-10 extenders turn in at a sharper angle on the sides to clear the cover brackets, that is the main difference.

But to answer your question, I am not sure if an aftermarket extender will clear the cover brackets. the 07-10 extender is funny shaped for this reason, and might be the only one that will clear...

if i were you, just stay patient on craigslist. i see them on there all the time. i got mine off craigslist, its the ford extender and i got it for 35 bucks.

thats what I did and picked mine up for $75

From reading above, does that mean I can run the earlier style bed extender as long as it is without the bed cover?

Thanks,
S

From reading above, does that mean I can run the earlier style bed extender as long as it is without the bed cover?

Thanks,
S

Yes, that's correct. I am using an 01-05 extender on my 2010. If you don't have the OEM bed cover on your 07-10, an 01-05 extender will work fine.

Mine came from a Chevy stepside, 40usd + 2 of the mounts (same as tailgate cable anchors)

Greetings,

I just replaced my 2004 Sport Trac with a 2010 model. Unlike my 2004, this truck did not come with a bed extender - which I need. My question is should I get the one from Ford for $300+ or has anyone bought a 2nd party extender? AMP Research has one for $225 delivered...I want to be sure it will swing in and out without hitting the folded back hard Tonneau cover. I haven't seen anything on Craigslist yet, either. Also, will all 2007-2010 extenders fit my truck?

Thanks in advance for any insight you may have.
I have the same issue. 2010 G2 with a 2005 G1 Sport Trac bed extender. Yes, it "fits" but when trying to flip it over it hits the tonneau latches. I have to manually flip the bed extender. I get along with it until I find a good used bed extender made for a 2010 G2 Sport Trac.

Back